BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

c4d for archicad...help...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all,

Im about to return to university and am currently trying to decide which programme to invest in to render models made in archicad as well as a programme that will let me create slightly more complicated shapes and edit objects within archicad. Im not a blobitect or anything but am looking forward to being able to design without the constraints of having to produce something that is buildable at a reasonable budget...

While on my degree, I used archicad 10 with the maxonform plugin but found it very frustrating to use. Objects created in maxonform were not very well documented in 2d within archicad and the interchange between the two programmes was at times a total pain in the arse. Im hoping that somebody here could let me know if the architectural editions of c4d are any better in terms of integrating with archicad. Im after a product that I can export an archicad model into for rendering purposes and can model objects in and export them into my archicad model. Any help would be greatly appreciated as would any other software suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
From your description I suggest you look into Artlantis for rendering and Objective or Archiforma (or both) for additional modeling capabilities.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew, thanks for the quick reply. I have downloaded both artlantis and objective both of which are free to students so a big thank you to anyone involved with either of them.

Im still keen to find out a little more about c4d architecture though as I was quite fond of the layout and enjoyed using the programme. I also have an interest in digital art so c4d would allow me to experiment in that field as well as architecture. I'd be really grateful if somebody could tell me if the architecture version of c4d includes the core version of c4d with an extension for the architectural elements and also if the exchange with archicad works both ways, ie. can objects be created in c4d and integrated into archicad for the 2d documentation?..

Many thanks.
Wokka
Contributor
Mark,
I'm unsure of what you get with the architectural package but the integration of an ArchiCad model into C4D if great via a plugin. Reversing the procedure (C4D to ArchiCad) is a real pain as the polygon count goes through the roof and the objects look pretty horrible on a good set of documents. The Maxonform approach had it's own problems (as you found out). For documentation etc I'd be trying to keep entirely inside Archicad with the specific tools available (ie objective, cadimage etc etc) and use C4D purely for rendering. C4D R11 has just been released with a whole new rendering plugin (Advance Render 3) which is MUCH quicker than previous version for Global Illumination. Also you can go one step further and get Vray and have some real fun.
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks wokka, think I will do just that. Been muddling my way through objective the past day or so and it would appear I can do most of what I need with it.

Would you say that the Vray for c4d is better than the advanced render 3 then?.. I've heard its easier to use but nothing actually comparing the results you can acheive...

Many thanks.
Wokka
Contributor
Mark,
I haven't had a play with AR3 yet, still trying to earn a living
From what I've read on various C4D/Vray forums, your comments are pretty accurate. I for one doubt that I'll be going back to AR3, though for the price it is pretty good value and a good way to first learn the 'art' of GI and architectural visualisation.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you need help with architectural rendering side of things in Cinema 4D check out Architectural Rendering in Cinema 4D at www.archicadtutorials.com
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!