Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

can't modify user defined parameter in AC 20 door schedule

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am attempting to update our offices favorites using AC 20 objects instead of those pulled in from the migration library. The AC 19 doors had some user defined parameters added to the door schedule. On the migrated doors, I can still edit these parameters. But on the doors input using the AC 20 door objects these fields are not editable.

I have made sure that the layers are all unlocked and turned on.

I am sure this is user error.. but I am at a loss. Help!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if this link will work... but this does seem to help answer my question...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=53572&sid=6ccb06f91fb59d5f2751a0c9cab4a99e

Sounds like I need to start investigating Properties!
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, that is the answer to your question. Properties are much more general and powerful than the fixed number of (sometimes up to 9) User Defined text parameters.

Unfortunately, it does mean re-working your old schedules. But, in the long run, this is a definite improvement.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Karin,

Here is the YouTube playlist that will give you a good foundation for working with Element Properties in ARCHICAD 20:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWWXsVJ3fRGNxuKLoHPkpx1I
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Wow, I just realized that the "User Defined" Description (aka "For Listing") parameters that were in the ArchiCAD Doors and Windows previously are completely gone from AC20. I managed to completely rework the AC20 Template and miss this! Now I have several projects with broken schedules (and I thought my complaining associates were crazy, or working with the wrong door objects...sorry!).

This does explain why, perhaps, our attempts at migrating projects from AC19 to AC20 has refused to automatically migrate the doors into the new Library Parts. I just thought the migration system was broken.

This will force my hand to use Properties. I guess that's good. Just wish I had time to do this right!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
...And the Saga Continues...

Here's a warning: If you start a project using AC19 or earlier doors, and migrate your project to AC20, keep using the doors from the AC19 Library. DO NOT MIX THEM. At the very least, test your Door Schedules regularly.

I have a large project with hundreds of AC19 doors, complete with parameters defining materials, hardware sets, etc. It was converted to AC20, and the users began adding a few dozen AC20 doors... which don't work with the same schedule. This is because our schedules use all of the available parameters, including "User Defined 1-5". Those spaces in the schedule are just uneditable dashes.

To make matters worse, trying to convert those doors back to AC19 (one by one, which is easier than converting all of the Parameters to Properties of the other doors)... you can't select AC19 Doors in the Settings dialog, since it hides the Migration Libraries, even if you Search. It took me a while, but I figured out that you have to load in the AC19 complete library, and ignore the Consolidate/Migration warnings to see the old Door parts.

So, whoever had the genius idea to remove the "User Defined 1-5" parameters from the AC20 doors... grrrrr. Please make objects 100% compatible for at least one version beyond the point when features become obsolete. It's hard to change our workflow quickly and focus on running a business at the same time.

BIG wish list item: Develop "smart" Properties that can clone or refer to another Property or Parameter. For instance, Property "B" = Property "A" + Object Height + Background Fill Pen #. Then I could universally make New Property = Old Parameter.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Da3dalus wrote:
BIG wish list item: Develop "smart" Properties that can clone or refer to another Property or Parameter. For instance, Property "B" = Property "A" + Object Height + Background Fill Pen #. Then I could universally make New Property = Old Parameter.
I think you can achieve this by mapping parameters/properties to IFC Properties and listing those IFC Properties.
Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8V3I5OfgK0&index=4&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWX6hB3Bz_L61rvUDx8eioCq
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
So, whoever had the genius idea to remove the "User Defined 1-5" parameters from the AC20 doors... grrrrr. Please make objects 100% compatible for at least one version beyond the point when features become obsolete. It's hard to change our workflow quickly and focus on running a business at the same time.
I agree! We just discovered this now and don't have time to adjust our workflow -- we'll have to go back to using AC19 doors until we can.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5