BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

converting into 2d elements from jpeg image

ratnabhirud
Contributor
Hello,

Is there any way to covert jpeg or any other image which has some grill design or railing design, into the 2d elements so that I can make different gdl object in Archicad?

Regards,

Ratna
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Ram - 16.0 GB
System - Windows 10 Ultimate, 64 bit

NVEDIA GForce 8400GS

Archicad 9..., 24
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
place it on the plan as an image, trace over it with slab/wall/whatever is appropriate

Save as object/window/door ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
ratnabhirud
Contributor
Hello Djordje,

Your suggestion is correct. I can place image as trace or directly on plan .
But did you noticed that after selecting, say line tool, I can't snap to the nodes and edges of placed image. I can't use magic wand tool.

Is their any other way?

Thanks & Regards,

Ratna
Ram - 16.0 GB

NVEDIA GForce 8400GS

Archicad 9..., 24
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There was an Add-On a very long time ago called Plan2Model. That could convert images to vectorial lines and stuff.
Unfortunately its development stopped so it is not available anymore.
Besides that there is no way in ArchiCAD other than what Djordje suggested. But ou will not be able to use the Magic Wand feature, you will need to zoom it very close so you can approximate the lines seen on the image with the lines or Walls you draw in ArchiCAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
See the various options discussed in this thread:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=36327

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ratnabhirud
Contributor
Thanks to all of you,

I think this is very simple , basic tool which can help Architects and interior designers for saving their time in drafting 2d designs and making custom objects.

I wish Graphisoft will add this add-on in there next version.

Regards,

Ratna
Ram - 16.0 GB

NVEDIA GForce 8400GS

Archicad 9..., 24
Barry Kelly
If you have DXF or DWG files for the images you want to trace then you can snap to end-points and lines as these are vector files

JPG, BMP, TIF, etc. images just don't contain the vectorial information required to snap to.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ratnabhirud
Contributor
Thanks Barry,

Actually I know this works fine with dwg/dxf containing vector information.
I am using this feature for converting 2d contour drawings(dwg format) in to the Archicad 2d elements.

By the way , does anybody have any idea , how raster images are converted into 2d elements in ZWCad?

I know this question should not be here, but any hint will work for me.

Regards,

Ratna
Ram - 16.0 GB

NVEDIA GForce 8400GS

Archicad 9..., 24
Djordje
Ace
Well ...

The bitmaps are a bunch of pixels. ArchiCAD or anyCAD works with vectors. Any automatic translation from pixel to vector is approximate. How can you expect to snap to pixels? Yep, it would be nice, I agree ... for all the placed bitmaps and PDFs. Just not very probable.

If you have a raster to vector converter already, ZWCAD or whatever, convert the image you have to a vector format readable by ArchiCAD, then open in ArchiCAD and refine. There is no way that you will get the required accuracy using any of the automatic converters out there - including the deceased Plan2Model, that actually worked, to an acceptable level.

It is often faster to trace, knowing the main dimensions, than it is to convert automatically and spend time cleaning up. Just think of any curved edge that will be gazillion of linear segments instead of a curve - that you define with two clicks.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!