BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

cut and paste without getting the layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have asked this before but still not sure how to do this.

If I get a dwg drawing from an engineer and i want to copy and paste it into my archicad drawings how do i do this without getting all their layers imported and mixed up with mine.

I need to modify what I am importing

Sometime a dialogue box appears sometimes it doesnt.

It is really time consuming going through delete all the layer every time and If I dont things get out of hand.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I have done with window details (and others) I have downloaded is:

Open the DWG file in Archicad.
Select All and change to Archicad Layer
Delete all other layers.
Copy and paste to desired Archicad file.

I find that if you do not delete unwanted layers they sometimes get transferred anyway, even if all elements are on the Archicad Layer.

However, if you do not want to do this with your Engineer's files, be aware that anything on a layer that exists will come thru' on that layer. Anything on a layer that exists but is turned off or locked will bring up the dialogue to show/unlock those layers (or place on Archicad layer*). Anything on a layer that does not exist will create a new layer.

* I wished in 2005 and again in 2011 that this dialogue gave you an option to select a layer to assign, rather than just the Archicad layer. Any joy in 17?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since you need to edit the imported stuff the way to avoid the layer pollution is to do the edit in a separate file and simplify the layering before pasting/merging into the main file.
Stress Co_
Advisor
When I bring in a dwg file I use: File> External Content> Place External Drawing.

Select the drawing and go Edit> Reshape> Explode into Current View.

You'll get the option to keep primitives on their original layers.
If you don't check the box.... the'll all go to the Archicad layer.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
s2art wrote:
* I wished in 2005 and again in 2011 that this dialogue gave you an option to select a layer to assign, rather than just the Archicad layer. Any joy in 17?
Not exactly your wish, but AC17 has Delete & Replace for attributes, so when a layer is deleted its elements can be moved to another layer.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
s2art wrote:
Not exactly your wish, but AC17 has Delete & Replace for attributes, so when a layer is deleted its elements can be moved to another layer.

David
Thanks. So that's a "no" then. Doesn't seem like it would hard to implement.
Learn and get certified!