BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

detail library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I am just setting up archicad in the office. What is the best way to go about setting up a detail library. Just standard eaves etc. I would like to be able to use them as "detail templates" while I rebuild the library, and store them separately to the projects I am working on. I am wondering if anyone has some 'best practice' tips. I sure don't want to draw them all twice.
Cheers Jo
27 REPLIES 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Kristian wrote:
Each detail has its own section so that the scale can be set independently.
Then each of those sections are setup in the view map, making it easier to index and find the details.
I guess the Section thing comes from an earlier version of ArchiCAD.
Nowadays it is best to use the independent Worksheet viewpoints for this purpose instead of Section viewpoints.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
To continue the Western Australian theme (the finest users of ArchiCAD since 4.5)

this is what we do.

1. have a dedicated .pln with every detail in a detail view at different scales
2. Each detail is saved as a view
3. We have a publisher set - exporting the views as .mod files to a place on the server. MOD files will show in the windows navigator like the .dwg's in Laszlo's screen shot with out anything else installed!!
4. The details are then selected graphically and dragged and dropped into ArchiCAD.

Easy to setup and maintain. Easy to use. (very similar to using Autosketch blocks). You can also create modules for other things. For example, standard carports, complete with roof, ceiling, piers, dimensions, notes... everything - just drag and drop the .mod file onto your ArchiCAD file. Its very handy.

Hope this helps.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Here's a good discussion by Eric Bobrow: Detail catalog
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Brett Brown
Advocate
Both Ben's and Eric's ways highlight the over worked way of doing something simple

How I would like it is having your external Library of .mods in a folder structure. When importing them into your project, AC AUTOMATICLY sets up a detail view with the same name,scale in the project. Then you just drag into Layout. Pure and simple.

Also this way you can tweak that detail for that project and it does not effect any other project. You can then save these tweaks out to your Library if you need them again.

And as I said earlier, for Details that don't need changing in the project, being able to place .mods as drawings straight into the Layout would again be simple.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you want to place standard, unaltered, details on layouts: just publish them as .PMK and place those on the layout.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
FWIW

I used to create independent details (tools>independent detail) and they were an integral part of the template and always in the details list ready to be used when needed. No external files, dwgs. modules etc. Millwork profiles, fireplace details and even standard notes were already in the plan when it was opened for the first and the file size was negligible. The template I used for the occasional homeowner/builder who just wanted something to get their permits with and was going to do whatever they wanted anyway had the entire IRC (2003) in it and I could drop the pertinent section on the sheets.

Independent details have a different icon in the navigator list and if you name them properly the placed details will be added to the top of the list so you don't have to browse through everything to find the project specific or linked details although you can also link a detail marker to them when needed. You can always delete the ones you don't need for a particular project but I never bothered.
Dennis Lee
Booster
Brett wrote:
Both Ben's and Eric's ways highlight the over worked way of doing something simple

How I would like it is having your external Library of .mods in a folder structure. When importing them into your project, AC AUTOMATICLY sets up a detail view with the same name,scale in the project. Then you just drag into Layout. Pure and simple.

Also this way you can tweak that detail for that project and it does not effect any other project. You can then save these tweaks out to your Library if you need them again.

And as I said earlier, for Details that don't need changing in the project, being able to place .mods as drawings straight into the Layout would again be simple.
Brett, I didn't quite get your meaning. Is this a wish? Or is it already possible to do these things that you mention?

When I import (merge / drag & drop) mod files, it doesn't create any view at all. Also, when I drag the mod file into layout, it comes in as a group of 2d elements, not as a drawing - thus not showing detail name, scale, etc.

It would be quite nice if what you said is possible.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Dennis Lee
Booster
Ben wrote:
To continue the Western Australian theme (the finest users of ArchiCAD since 4.5)

this is what we do.

1. have a dedicated .pln with every detail in a detail view at different scales
2. Each detail is saved as a view
3. We have a publisher set - exporting the views as .mod files to a place on the server. MOD files will show in the windows navigator like the .dwg's in Laszlo's screen shot with out anything else installed!!
4. The details are then selected graphically and dragged and dropped into ArchiCAD.

Easy to setup and maintain. Easy to use. (very similar to using Autosketch blocks). You can also create modules for other things. For example, standard carports, complete with roof, ceiling, piers, dimensions, notes... everything - just drag and drop the .mod file onto your ArchiCAD file. Its very handy.

Hope this helps.
Ben, when you drag and drop your mod files into ArchiCAD, do you create an independent detail prior to drag and drop? Do you drag and drop into the layout? If so, how do you do the detail title?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Learn and get certified!