Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

different kinds of DWG attachments to ac

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi

what are the differences between different types of dwg attachments (linking, x-ref, module, external drawing, opening dwg directly by dbl clicking)

thanks,
joseph
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
Read here

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/collaboration-guide-for-archicad-20/interoperabi...

I always use "Place as Drawing" since you can also turn individual layers off by selecting the drawing and editing its settings. The article is wrong in that regard.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Eduardo,

Could you point me to the part in the article that you think is wrong? (I just don't want to read the whole thing, you could point me faster in the right direction.)
If something is wrong in it, I will let the guys at GS know about it and they will correct it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
The "No" should have an asterisk, since it can be done but not from the Layers Palette or the description could be changed to "Editable Layers using Layer Command"
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
The paragraph that contradicts it.
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 1.46.09 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks, I think this single item remained in there from the times where it was not possible to turn individual layers of the DWG/DXF file ON/OFF.
I will forward this to the GRAPHISOFT documentation gal.
DGSketcher
Legend
ejrolon wrote:
I always use "Place as Drawing" since you can also turn individual layers off by selecting the drawing and editing its settings.
Never noticed that option I've learned something new today
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Yup, place as drawing is great.

A neat trick I use is change the layer of the placed drawing to the layer I want to import certain linework on, then turn off all but those layers in the placed drawing and hit explode. No need to clean up unwanted layers from the DWG. You do get some linetypes and possibly fill types, but at least no layers cluttering up your project.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ejrolon wrote:
Read here

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/collaboration-guide-for-archicad-20/interoperabi...

I always use "Place as Drawing" since you can also turn individual layers off by selecting the drawing and editing its settings. The article is wrong in that regard.
The page in question is now corrected by GRAPHISOFT.