BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

edit downloaded .dxf object

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am experiencing some troubles with downloaded 3D files from internet.
I normally cannot edit them -I mean, if not with the editable parameters- but I am sure there will be a way to split to cut some parts of it, which I am unable to find.
The thing is, there is an specific Vitra table that I want to use in a project, and I have downloaded the .dxf file directly from the Vitra website. The file, though, includes not only this table, but all the models of that collection -6 of them- and when I place the object, there are always those 6 tables, and I want to use just one, so I should delete the other 5 ones.
how can I do it????
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Open the downloaded .dxf file in AutoCAD (or if you don´t have it, download and install a free clone "DraftSight" from Dassault), Save with another name, delete the unnecessary tables and resave. Repeat this for all 6 tables. In this way you now have 6 tables in 6 files.
Karl Ottenstein
You can right-click and convert the placed, downloaded object (6 tables) to a Morph in AC 16 and higher (you don't say what version you have).

Once you have the Morph, you can split the table you want off from the others and delete them.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much for your tips. Still, I already knew those procedures, but i was wondering if there was a way to keep the Object status without converting it to a Morph entity, or using other software. This is also what is happening to me when importing a terrain from Google Earth, I am unable to edit it if I don't convert it to Morph, which proves to be quite inconvenient, as the texture then loses its reference.

As for the software I work with, it's AC16 (i just created my profile and didn't fill in all the info, but now it's done!), and converting an Object into a Morph... I'm scared this means losing the info about materials, etc.
Karl Ottenstein
No fear: nothing is permanent. If converting to a morph doesn't get the result you need, then just delete the morph. The only time that morph textures have 'issues' is with complex surfaces and UV mapping AFAIK.

Something like a table shouldn't be a problem.

If you convert to morph, delete the stuff you don't want, and then don't want the resulting table to still be a morph, then save it as an object... and it is an object again. One advantage of being an object would be that you can then use gravity to place the table onto a slab...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much
I knew it was easy peasy... just wanted to check if there were other possibilities. Still learning this program!
Learn and get certified!