BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

export ifc with textures

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to include texture information when exporting to .ifc?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good question. I was so pleased to see material colors imported to NavisWorks 2014 I didn't think to check the textures. I'll have to try that when get to the office.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I searched for newer threads on this topic but couldn't find them.

is there any solution to this problem??

Thanks

Luis
fuzzytnth3
Booster
As I understand it IFC does not support textures but it can show colours and ArchiCAD 20 now supports exporting colours

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I asked GRAPHISOFT about this and I got the following response:

1. Although it is possible in IFC4 to save texture information (the specification contains it), there are no currently available Model View Definitions - MVDs - (such as Design Transfer View and Reference View) in which textures are specified or supported. Neither of these MVDs has it as a purpose to visualize textures. Thus the first step would be to demand such a MVD by users/organizations/standards.
2. Also, texture support in IFC4 currently exists only for triangulated geometry. For BREPs there is no support because it is very complicated.
3. There is no IFC-supporting application currently (including IFC model viewers) which would have even started developing/supporting texture import/export.
4. GRAPHISOFT worked very hard to get color fidelity of surfaces implemented in IFC. (that is, in an IFC file exported as BREP from ARCHICAD 20 each face of an object can have a different color, as opposed to earlier where each surface of a body had to have the same color). Besides GRAPHISOFT, only a handful of application have implemented this enhancement. So imagine, if there is such low support for color fidelity at the moment, how much support is there for texture fidelity?

Based on all the above it seems to me there will be some time before we see textures in IFC files.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
stefan
Expert
Don't blame the format, but rather the slow uptake to fully implement what IFC can do by the vendors. And texture support is really low on the priority list.

But current ARCHICAD 20 IFC exports already look better in Solibri, due to better color export in ARCHICAD and better color import in Solibri.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
stefan
Expert
Some time later... not much happened. As I understand now, the texture coordinates are supported in IFC for some geometry, as noted, but I have yet to encounter any IFC texture mapping to survive the transfer.

Even if your viewer supports textures for its materials, it needs a way to "map" those to the geometry. That is done with texture coordinates and while ARCHICAD (and others) support this, they don't seem to include them in the IFC export.

Conversely, in my efforts to create an IFC Model Viewer in Unity, where textures are almost a necessity to get any decent graphics, I had to resort to generating texture coordinates myself. They are thus not fully aligned with the original model. Alas...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!