BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

export site geometry IFC

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to export a terrain model to IFC. I created the model using mesh and the element is classified as 'Site Geometry'. However, it did not get exported and when I saw the properties there is no IFC properties, unlike other elements (which has IFC properties and show up when exported to IFC). Is it possible to export the model to IFC while being under 'Site Geometry' classification?

6 REPLIES 6
Brett Brown
Advocate
I'm having the same problem. Why doesn't the site mesh export as IFC like the rest of the building?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have exported a mesh from ArchiCAD to IFC so it is definitely possible. I'm having real trouble replicating it in another file using the same translator, struggling to find the parameters that affect the output.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on how much data you will be using from the IFC you simply need to change the IFC classification of the site from IFCsite to buildingelementproxy.
felcunha
Expert
IFCSite can't be shown in the IFC management palette and can't have properties mapped into it.
Also, if you have several elements classified as IFCSite, they will be understood by the IFC file as one whole entity.
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the IFC export conversion make sure you unchecked "export only geometries which participate in collision detection".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to leave my two cents for those looking to export their mesh as part of the IFC model:

1. Select the mesh object that you want to export as IFC model.
2. Go into 'Mesh Selection Settings'
3. Under the 'Classification and Properties' tab, you can either uncheck the ArchiCAD classification, or change the 'site geometry' to any other element the IFC translator can read. (If you uncheck the classification, the object defaults to 'Building Element Proxy'.)
4. Done! You should now be able to see the mesh in the model filter for export.

I had trouble finding a clear solution for this, so hopefully the above should help out anyone else looking for a solution here.

Sang
Learn and get certified!