BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

exporting to c4d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I've tried just about all the various options and so far find the OBJ format to work the best. However, when I export by materials, which makes sense, ALL the AC geometry of that material comes in as ONE single polygon object in C4D. This is a major, major pain as there is no easy way to split all the polygons like the explode command in autocad...you have to do it polygon by polygon. What I would really like to see in the file transfer is all the polys of one material to come in under a single null object in C4D so that each part is easily accessed amd edited in C4D and yet comes in already "sorted" by material under the null object. This would save a lot of time. By the way, that is the way FormZ objects come in, except I used to do it by layers, but same concept.

Have I missed an option here somewhere that might work better? I did try the AC to C4D exchange plugin...and offhand can not remember the results as far as how the geometry came in.
151 REPLIES 151
owen
Newcomer
dinnye and crazyASD .... fantastic work guys, you have done a great service to all AC+C4D users. Works exactly as the old one did.

You guys deserve a few of these and anyone who finds this useful note the Paypal link on the plugin site.

Graphisoft ... what was so f'ing hard about that??!! Your users should not be having to code updated plugins because your cannot manage to get your act together. This whole affair has been a disgrace and you should do something for these guys who have been doing your job for you

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Wokka
Contributor
Owen,
I agree 100%! Great little plugin.
All we've ever asked for from Graphisoft.
Just looked back in this thread,,,,,
Graphisoft last commented on the 14th April, asking for patience.
In other words, wait for R13.
This sort of attutude really p%&^%sses me off!

Thanks again dinnye and crazyASD
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
dinnye wrote:
Hi. MacIntel port are ready. Thanks for crazyASD.
Yes !! Thank you.

Couldn't start this week with a greatest news.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant work!! Thank you very much and I really hope Graphisoft finds an adequate way to thank you for your afford.
Wokka
Contributor
Thanks for posting the link!
Has it really been up since 06/09/09 and 08/12/09 as the last modified dates indicate?
Once again Graphisoft have shown their great communication ability.
"Don't tell anyone, they can just check the web site every day and hope it's fixed"
The only question is, do we use the Graphisoft product that will probably stuff up the 'home made' solution or stick with dinnye and crazyASD's solution. Untill I need to upgrade C4D to R11, I know where I'm staying unless the Grahisoft version has something extra.
Has anyone tested this one yet? Someone be brave , I don't have time or patience at the moment.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah - it contains an add-on called "Cinema4D Exchange.apx" so it would seem to not be a new version of the .ac4d exporter. Presumably it's the .c4d exporter that we are all loving to hate! It's not clear to me whether it's an update or not and I'm not about to test it.

Hey Sunnybris - thanks for posting - can you clarify whether this is new and, if so, what it does do that the earlier versions didn't.

Incredible work, by the way, dinnye. We were told by someone in an earlier post that redoing the old add-on was going to be a lot of work and it was something they (graphisoft or whoever) weren't prepared to do. Well you did it - it works - and you deserve our thanks. Do you have plans to release updates for subsequent versions of ArchiCAD as well? Is this something a donation would help with?

Did anyone see the post in the c4d forum of the CG society re the fab review of the Architectural version of Cinema. I read it quickly but couldn't see any mention of the fact that it only works with an outdated version of ArchiCAD. Not too clever eh?
Anonymous
Not applicable
boacon wrote:
Nah - it contains an add-on called "Cinema4D Exchange.apx" so it would seem to not be a new version of the .ac4d exporter. Presumably it's the .c4d exporter that we are all loving to hate! It's not clear to me whether it's an update or not and I'm not about to test it.

Hey Sunnybris - thanks for posting - can you clarify whether this is new and, if so, what it does do that the earlier versions didn't.

Incredible work, by the way, dinnye. We were told by someone in an earlier post that redoing the old add-on was going to be a lot of work and it was something they (graphisoft or whoever) weren't prepared to do. Well you did it - it works - and you deserve our thanks. Do you have plans to release updates for subsequent versions of ArchiCAD as well? Is this something a donation would help with?

Did anyone see the post in the c4d forum of the CG society re the fab review of the Architectural version of Cinema. I read it quickly but couldn't see any mention of the fact that it only works with an outdated version of ArchiCAD. Not too clever eh?
I posted because I dont have time to check it out but my local graphisoft dude forwarded us the link.
I just tried to open the ACMerge plugin zip file and it says it is encrypted. Is this the file you are talking about?

Derek
Anonymous
Not applicable
boacon wrote:
can you clarify whether this is new and, if so, what it does do that the earlier versions didn't
It is actually an updated add-on but it doesn't give us anything from a rendering point. The changes relate to the modelling workflow only

Thanks dinnye and crazyASD fantastic work
owen
Newcomer
pgreen wrote:
boacon wrote:
can you clarify whether this is new and, if so, what it does do that the earlier versions didn't
It is actually an updated add-on but it doesn't give us anything from a rendering point. The changes relate to the modelling workflow only...
GS Site says:

4. Optional functionality: Download and install the ACMerge plugin for CINEMA 4D 11. This plugin extends the data exchange functionality with scene update: It updates a file already opened in Cinema4D with a newer version of the exported file without loosing modifications that had already been applied.

Don't have time to test it out either but this sounds like it supports an Exchange-like workflow albeit within the new horribly cumbersome file structure the Cinema export plugin gives. So if you manage the nightmare of applying all your materials etc to this, it will at least remember it when you merge an updated file?

Is this right? I wasn't aware there were any modelling problems that required an update, just the viz side of it - and GS doesn't provide patch notes for their plugins so we know what they have actually done...
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Learn and get certified!