BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

how to add data into IFC attributes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did anyone have a clue for how to add data/information into the attributes of the existing IFC building component in ArchiCAD (or any other BIM software)?
Cheers!
3 REPLIES 3
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You mean cost, weight, dimensionality, thermal values or what? And are you referring to ArchiCad library objects or native elements?
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks andyro,
I would like to add thermal value and carbon emission to the object. I am not very sure what is the different between ArchiCAD library object and native elements...I would imagine the ArchiCAD library objects might be an easier option for modification.

Cheers!
Eugene
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Right, native elements don't have parameter fields that you can add-to (AFAIK), so you can model with objects (ie. a furnace object) and add it's energy characteristics to the parameters. If you want to see how to do this, open up our electrigon object and see how it works. You can add rthese and other fields (such as carbon emissions) based on efficiency + kwh/yr + fuel types, etc.

See here: http://www.archicad.ca/?p=70

You should note however, that these parameters are over and above what is in the IFC spec, so they may not export with an IFC model output - I don't know.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!