BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ifc: exporting the wall/slab elements by components

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,
i'm currently a vectorworks user (formerly i've used ac12 a lot) and i wonder if there is a possibility in current archicad releases to export ifc complex elements not as whole ifc entities (walls or slabs), but as their components. i mean e.g. concrete core, rock wool insulation and plaster.

the reason is to make the ifc models readable for the 3rd pty model evaluation software (e.g. navisworks) and thus to enable an interactive work scheduling.

my bim manager has come up with such a wish, claiming archicad can do this with ifc export options.

is it true?

thx in advance,
rob
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is now possible to do in ArchiCAD 18, it is a new feature.

In the IFC Translation Setup Dialog, in the Export Options panel, click the Options button for the Geometry representation field.
In the appearing Dialog, you will see the "Export Composite and Complex Profile elements into parts" checkbox. Check this checkbox. The Help file says it will do the following:
Explode Composite and Complex Profile elements into parts: This will save composite elements (e.g. Slab or Wall) and Complex Profiles (e.g. Column, Wall, Beam) as so-called “Building Element Parts”. This means that the main element (e.g. IfcWall) will be saved as a container element without geometry, and its parts (the skins or profile components) will provide the geometry. Use this option to ensure the correct export of the individual colors assigned to the Building Materials of each component. This export option retains the original colors of all building parts, instead of exporting them in all one color.
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/interoperability/file-handli...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlo,
thanks for your answer. it was exactly the information i was looking for.
rob
Learn and get certified!