BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

importing dxf into ArchiCad - several questions

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello world! new user here with access to AC 8.1 and 9.0. i am trying to build a library of mfg objects. kohler has a full set of 3D dwg and dxf. both dwg and dxf import into SketchUp flawlessly. have tried many variations of AC translator. 2D comes into AC well. no luck with 3D- sometimes a few small 3D parts and a few polylines in 3D window- way out of scale. anyone know of successful method?

does the translation improve if a dxf file is made a GDL object first?
2 REPLIES 2
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Herb wrote:
does the translation improve if a dxf file is made a GDL object first?
Herb ,
Absolutely. You will not get ACIS information into ArchiCAD by importing directly into ArchiCAD.

So basically you have answered your own question. Open your DWGs "AS" GDL objects first.

HTH.
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Karl Ottenstein
As Ben confirmed, you must open a dxf or dwg that has 3D content as a GDL object.

The next thing you'll discover with the Kohler objects (I've been there) is that the object comes in as all one material.

If you are not rendering, that's probably fine ... it'll look great in your various drawings. And, it's easy for users of all levels to do.

But, if you need to render and want different materials, Daniel Lindahl posted an excellent tip here (should have been tip of the month IMHO) about how to make that happen:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=18555#18555

It's a little guesswork, but it worked for me with the Kohler shower fixtures I tried after Daniel posted that excellent tip.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!