BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

macintel xserve experiences

schagemann
Enthusiast
we are planning to upgrade our old server to an macintel xserve (2.66 GHz Quad XEON, osx server 10.4).

can anyone report on their experiences in this regard, of particular interest are the following...

1. how did you deal with older projects running on pre ac10 versions.
2. any access/privilege problems on the file server.

thanks in advance for any replies.

daniel.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
We just got out XServe and should have it up and running soon. I'll let you know more when we do.
Tom Waltz
schagemann
Enthusiast
tom,

any new experiences to share yet - hope you are not lost in damage control mode... ;0)

daniel.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
TomWaltz
Participant
It will probably be a couple weeks before it's up (other things come first, like some web and mail server upgrades)
Tom Waltz
owen
Newcomer
This is our server Daniel is refering to. We have requested some feedback on any compatibility issues with our setup from GSHQ via GS Aust but are still waiting to hear back ... I think AC11 is taking up a little of everyones time at the moment

In the past we have both experienced some rather major permissions problems with AC9 & 10 on a Mac-only network - to the point where Teamwork was unusable due to teammate sign-in conflicts. However my understanding is this was - at least partially - caused by Xsan which will not apply to us. The servers were also G5 Xserves.

To be more specific about our planned setup, we are making a move from a G4 Server with OS X 10.3 Server and a mix of PPC/Intel clients to:

1. Client machines are a mix of G5 and Intel Macs (MacPro / MacBookPro / iMac) running OS X 10.4

2. WIBU+File Server on an Intel Xserve running OS X 10.4 Server.

3. ArchiCAD 9 & 10 in use on projects - although we are considering moving everything over to 10 as the v9 projects are quite small.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any updates Tom?
owen
Newcomer
We went online over the weekend and so far the sky has not fallen in ... in fact it's generally running quite smoothly.

We will give it a couple of weeks to iron out a few things and will let you know how it all goes
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Karl Barker
Participant
Owen,
Just a few technical questions for you. how are you sharing your server?
are you using the apple file protocol?
We are currently setup similar to how you were. GA4 server with Panther server sharing via AFP.
I cannot say that we have ever had any permissions issues with AC 8, 8.1, 9 or 10 all running concurrently.
That could be that all users ar lodged onto their own computers as admin users.
I wouldn't mind a couple of screenshots of server settings if that was possible.

Karl Barker
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!