Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

pen set matrix for ArchiCAD USA vs INT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in search of a graphical matrix showing how ArchiCAD (im using archiCAD 17) sets up the pens on all library objects, modeling tools (walls, windows) and annotations by default. I have found a couple of graphical matrix drawings, but they correlate with the international version and not the US version that we are using.

Im in the process of creating an office template and I want to use a pen set which works with all library objects, both US and international, and will bring them in on pens that represent the way we like to graphically show things. Walls are drawn with the right background fill and foreground patters and colors, and objects come in at proper lineweights and are not "black" with background fills, etc..

does anyone have a penset matrix description so i can use it to make the best decisions on the penset colors and lineweights?

Attached is a matrix i found, but it is not for the US version.

archicad-pensets.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That is a massive undertaking. I'd be interested to know what you are specifically trying to get out of it and why. And how many people will need to use the template.

The first line of twenty pens are theoretically the pens assigned to Graphisoft's library parts, add-ons, translators, etc. Pens 91-100 are the default Graphisoft greyscale pens and pen 91 itself is the most sacred of all pens as it is the default white pen. The image you show alters all of those.

The reality is that as the library parts have been developed over the years, pens from all over the pen table have been referenced (unless it has changed very recently), so there's no cure-all. If you don't mess with the above pens you'll be 95% of the way to a clean penset, then you can deal with the remaining 5% with pen overrides on a per-object basis. But library parts are only part of the issue.

Too often people complicate their pensets, many times trying to make them do what layers are meant to do, by specifying a pen for every element type. This can make for a complicated workflow for all the people that need to use it.

Personally I think it very wise to keep individual pens as simple as possible for general work and facilitate pensets to enhance your workflow.

People get passionate about their pensets so I'd expect you may get differing responses. And you'll certainly find many different opinions already voiced here, if you do a quick search. I'd just advise thinking of how much work you will put into creating it and your users will invest in learning, compared to what you will get out of it.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is so funny that you of all people just responded. I was literally just looking at your penset that is included in mastertemplate...
I was just deciding that I liked your penset the best, as it works best with our workflow and gives me a few spare pens to but our logo on.

Thanks,
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have a penset in the mastertemplate?!

I wonder how old it is. If it doesn't have the first line of pens as defaults, let me know and I'll provide an AAT file of an updated one.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is whats in there. I like the setup, but unfortunately every pen is .28 pt in this version...

PS: i would love an updated penset if you have one.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Perhaps that was built off an image of my penset? I don't recall. PM me your email address and I'll send you an updated one.

I see you found the limits of a canned template pretty quickly!

Cheers,
Link.