Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

.plc capabilties when using teamwork...a few questions..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel like I've been out of circulation in the forum...busy both at work and at home (probably a good thing though).

Anyways, here's my golden question for this month...

Scenario: I have established a good teamwork process at the office and have managed the files pretty good and a 3 person team with good understanding on how the teamworking actually works. We all sign in directly into the .plp file. And avoid the .plc process.

Questions: Some of us have wanted to take the project home on several occasions but have debated if it would just confuse things and be a waste of time. My questions are:

1. Could we save the .plp file as a .plc file.....take it home....make changes...bring it back the next day...and do a 'send & recieve' (will the send & recieve function work?)? Will there be any conflicts with this process?

2. I know there would be library issues, but, will it cause the libraries to change in the .plp file? ( I imagine that the .plp file will keep all of its original custom libraries regardless of any sending and recieving from .plc's that had other libraries loaded at the time it was worked on.)

thanks so much in advanced!
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks John, Yup I discovered that last night. That was the thing that had me confused for awhile till I actually gone ahead and did it. It all worked out. So, today, I think I'll get one of those new 1 gig usb drives so that I can start taking those plc's home during the weekends instead of coming back to the office everytime I wanna get some extra stuff done.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alright, I brought home the .plc file last night. Here's my concern....when I open my plc file (at home)...AC is trying to locate my plp file (which is at work)? What should do at this point?

...I wouldnt want to risk continuing working on the .plc file by ignoring to locate the plp and then finding out the next day at work that I cant send and recieve. I need some illumination on this particular case
TomWaltz
Participant
junior wrote:
Alright, I brought home the .plc file last night. Here's my concern....when I open my plc file (at home)...AC is trying to locate my plp file (which is at work)? What should do at this point?

...I wouldnt want to risk continuing working on the .plc file by ignoring to locate the plp and then finding out the next day at work that I cant send and recieve. I need some illumination on this particular case
As long as you did not "Sign out" before you left the office, you are fine. Archicad gets (understandably) paranoid if it cannot find the PLP to verify that you are currently signed in.
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
TomWaltz wrote:
As long as you did not "Sign out" before you left the office, you are fine. Archicad gets (understandably) paranoid if it cannot find the PLP to verify that you are currently signed in.
Yes another one of the paranoid messages you get with Teamwork. Since one of the main purposes of a PLC file is to work away from the PLP file, this message should be toned down to say something like. "The PLP file cannot be located but if you are working remotely it will automatically connect next time you are on the PLP file's network"
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Yes another one of the paranoid messages you get with Teamwork. Since one of the main purposes of a PLC file is to work away from the PLP file, this message should be toned down to say something like. "The PLP file cannot be located but if you are working remotely it will automatically connect next time you are on the PLP file's network"
Yeah...I'd feel alot better if it said something more positive like that, hahaha. Time to get a psychologist on board GS
Nick Schat
Participant
Just to clarify (for me), you mean I should leave the .plp file opened at work even after saving a .pca or .plc version in order for the 'send and recieve' function to work properly the next day after changing things at home?

Or did I confuse myself here?
Just to remove a misconception here, you can't ever "open" or "leave open" a .plp file. You can only sign in or out, or send and receive changes. Consider it a kind of database. At the point you sign-in to the .plp, you are in fact in the .plc environment and it should always be saved as such. (I also have the backup option switched on, just in case)
Nick

ArchiCAD 4.1–22, Mac OS 10.14.x iMac 27" 3,2Ghz Intel-Core i5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nick wrote:
Junior wrote:
Just to clarify (for me), you mean I should leave the .plp file opened at work even after saving a .pca or .plc version in order for the 'send and recieve' function to work properly the next day after changing things at home?

Or did I confuse myself here?
Just to remove a misconception here, you can't ever "open" or "leave open" a .plp file. You can only sign in or out, or send and receive changes. Consider it a kind of database. At the point you sign-in to the .plp, you are in fact in the .plc environment and it should always be saved as such. (I also have the backup option switched on, just in case)
Well... technically the PLP is open for read/write operations during sign in/out and send/receive operations, which is why only one person can be doing this at a time. It does not act like a multi-user transactional database with active record locking etc.

Other than those times, the file just sits idle and the users are working on local copies. Whether it's saved explicitly as a PLC or not, the real working copy is in RAM and the temporary folder. This is pretty much the same for a PLN except that the PLN (or PLC) isn't opened during a save file operation. It is just renamed to BPN (or BPC) once the new copy is successfully saved to disk.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello again, I have a scenario and am wondering if there is a way:

I've recently signed out from my .plc file to give full rights (exclusive access) to another team member for a short period. My team member has signed out for the week and I would like to gain access again using my .plc file from before. I know that it is no longer linked so even if its open, I wont be able to send and recieve...my question is, can I do anything to relink/re-sign-in from within my .plc file rather than going to the .plp file directly and saving as and overwritting my .plc? I'm curious about the possibilities.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Once signed out your plc file is of little use. (asides from cutting and pasting). The good news is your workspace is remembered when signing in to the plp file. If someone else is signing in for you to make a remote plc file make sure they use your name to assist the process.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]