Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

several dwg-export problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. i can't seem to publish directly from archicad with hairlines, although in plotmaker it is possible.
2. fills with a fill angle do not publish correctly as dwg
3. autocad cannot handle the same fonts archicad can. even with a template-dwg, a truetype font like Impact will not appear bold in autocad.

the above are amongst other issues i have with dwg-exports.
Have I overlooked some settings, are more people experiencing these problems?
See attached images
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
and in autocad...
Djordje
Ace
Hielke wrote:
1. i can't seem to publish directly from archicad with hairlines, although in plotmaker it is possible.
Make sure your Display options are on Hairline, not True weight
Hielke wrote:
2. fills with a fill angle do not publish correctly as dwg
Fills defined at an angle or fills with fill origin, rotated?
Hielke wrote:
3. autocad cannot handle the same fonts archicad can. even with a template-dwg, a truetype font like Impact will not appear bold in autocad.
On your example, the font above does show the same, the one below does not. What is the settings difference in ArchiCAD, if any?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Hielke,
It is very important that every thing is right in you DWG template file that you connect to you Translator file.
Please see the attached image.

1. I created a new Text style in AutoCAD, in this example I created style called Test, you can create a new text style and call it what ever you like. To the style Test I connected Arial and made it bold, Fet, sorry Swedish

2. In ArchiCAD I created the text in the image, as you can see in the image I have used Verdana. As you can also see I have not made it bold, just left it as is, please note you can have it bold or cursive if you like, this will not effect the out put to AutoCAD.

3. In the translator file I have created a new Fontconv rule, Verdana Western will be converted to AutoCAD style Test, which, as we know, has Arial bold connected to it.

4. The result in AutoCAD.

HTH.
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies,

Djordje
Make sure your Display options are on Hairline, not True weight
Also with display options set to hairline the published DWG comes out true weight, unlike plotmaker.
Fills defined at an angle or fills with fill origin, rotated?
Fills with fill origin rotated, fills defined at an angle come out fine.

On your example, the font above does show the same, the one below does not. What is the settings difference in ArchiCAD, if any?
One is bold the other normal. I have Autocad 2000 and it doesn't allow the Impact truetype font to be bold.

Ben,
The export I did was with using a dwg-template file the way you described, but as I wrote to Djordje Autocad 2000 doesn't allow Impact to be bold. Do you know if this is solved in more recent releases of Autocad?
Otherwise I have to use the normal Impact font from now on. As Djordje could not see any difference (see above) I guess I'm too critical about my exports
Although the fills with angled origin not being exported correctly is a real problem, as is the true weight issue
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very informative picture Ben! Even the "Fet" makes perfect sense to me as it is pronounced the same in Dutch and written "Vet"
Thanks
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Hielke wrote:
I have Autocad 2000 and it doesn't allow the Impact truetype font to be bold.

Do you know if this is solved in more recent releases of Autocad?
Hielke,
I'm using AutoCAD 2005 and it's no problem at all. I can't recall if 2002 allows you to have it though. Although I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't.
But you never know.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I updated to AC9 (1965) and tried exporting again...JACKPOT!!!
The hairline/true weight issue is fixed as well as the fills with rotated origin, all exported perfectly
Now... if I can just get my hands on a copy of Autocad 2005 to set up a new DWG-template