BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

tag lists property data type...what for?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I can see how it works but what is the IRL use for the data type Tags list in properties? /Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
2 REPLIES 2
poco2013
Mentor
From Help!

•Tags List: Can be a tag or series of tags (e.g. Building A, Floor 2, Common Use, Kitchenette)
–This data type cannot be used for an Expression-based property.

Tags List is nothing more than a delimited value string. I can only speculate that it was intended to be used in expressions in conjunction with the SPLIT command but was deleted in favor of OPTIONS. In that context, Its usage would then allow the designer to select from a pre-assigned fixed list of options rather than rely on the OPTIONS data type which only gives the value selected by the user. Same thing can be accomplish just by using a comma delimited string but not as easy to configure.

IOW - six verses half-dozen which I guess is why it was not used in expressions.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
poco2013 wrote:
From Help!

•Tags List: Can be a tag or series of tags (e.g. Building A, Floor 2, Common Use, Kitchenette)
–This data type cannot be used for an Expression-based property.

Tags List is nothing more than a delimited value string. I can only speculate that it was intended to be used in expressions in conjunction with the SPLIT command but was deleted in favor of OPTIONS. In that context, Its usage would then allow the designer to select from a pre-assigned fixed list of options rather than rely on the OPTIONS data type which only gives the value selected by the user. Same thing can be accomplish just by using a comma delimited string but not as easy to configure.

IOW - six verses half-dozen which I guess is why it was not used in expressions.
I'll forget about the tag lists as of now . We're not using 22 yet and I'm not sure we will push it internally but keen refining 21 until 23 comes out. During this period I might have a dream that will clarify the business value with tag lists .
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Learn and get certified!