Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

text conversion from archicad to dwg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried sending from A8 drawings to my consultant who uses Autocad 2000 and have done an export from plotmaker. Although the dimensions text has translated OK, any typed text has converted to goggledygook. Now this could be because I am using a Greek keyboard which is typing the text in Arial Unicode Ms Greek.

When I have saved the file an opened it on my own computer which has this font on it the Greek turns gibberish. This is also the case on my engineers computer.

What should I do in the conversion stage to avoid this?

The other query I have is, presumably when publishing from Plotmaker to dwg, you end up with uneditable dwg files and when you save as from Archicad you can edit them in Autocad.

If this is the rule, how do you export all the plans, sections and elevations from an Archicad file without soing a save as routine for each and every drawing?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
DWGs from PlotMaker are fully editable in AutoCAD. The big difference from ArchiCAD's DWGs is the inclusion of paper space for the layouts.
__archiben
Booster
jazzdude wrote:
If this is the rule, how do you export all the plans, sections and elevations from an Archicad file without soing a save as routine for each and every drawing?
you can use the publisher in archiCAD just as you would in plotmaker to set up a 'set' of dwg's for publishing. one click and they're all done. but as matthew says, dwg's are just as editable from plotmaker.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone

any ideas about the font problems?
Djordje
Ace
jazzdude wrote:
any ideas about the font problems?
Does your consultant have the same font installed on his machine?

Did you specify the special characters translation rules in the Translator?

Did you specify ANY translation rules in the Translator?

ArchiCAD does not have Unicode support, so your system fonts have to support the language you are using.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I admit that i didnt put any translation rules in the translator as Iassumed it was like a dxf translation where most stuff goes over. I have tried changing the translating rules but when I open the dialog boxes there is nothing to chose from. If i got the consultant to email me one of his files, can archicad refer to that and set all the attributes to that file?
Djordje
Ace
jazzdude wrote:
I admit that i didnt put any translation rules in the translator as Iassumed it was like a dxf translation where most stuff goes over. I have tried changing the translating rules but when I open the dialog boxes there is nothing to chose from. If i got the consultant to email me one of his files, can archicad refer to that and set all the attributes to that file?
Yes, use his file as a template.

I just tried the translation with Serbian Latin, Arial Eastern European, all works well ... you see in AutoCAD what you see in ArchiCAD.

It might be your fonts; try to use the basic ones (Arial for example)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am really sorry but I just cannot get my head round this. I have read the manuals, downloaded the dxf conversion file pdf and dont seem to understand how this works. It is written for those who want to have control over every little line etc. I just want my drawings to look as they do in Archicad and to be editable by the consultant.

Can you not just click on an autocad file and say, I want it to look like that?

I have tried saving in Archicad and opening in Autocad on the same computer where the fonts are operating in both yet the greek still converts wrong.

Is there anywhere I can get a walkthrough on this for dummies as I am lost here on this conversion thing. I tried setting a template file but must have done it wrong. In the text section of the translator it asks for styles as opposed to fonts, and when you click on them they stay blank.