BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

v18 Solo - Layers have alpha numeric prefix

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just upgraded to v18 Solo, and opened a fresh project.
The 'layer settings' appear to have lots more layers than v17 and almost all have a 6 digit alpha numeric prefix.
Please would you let me know if I have installed v18 wrong or is this a new 'feature'?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Archicad v18 Solo user that I know is having the same problem, so I'm assuming this is a bug or possibly a new feature??
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am assuming that it is a new feature that is coming from the Template file you are using when starting a new project.
You can create a new project and check if there is any other Template file you can choose for it to be based on.

Or, you can open the AC17 Template file in AC18, and save it as a Template. Then you will have that Template, too, available for new projects.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Whoa - 18 Solo - when did that come out ? im on 17 solo , I paid for the upgrade but didn't know it was released yet.

I'm assuming no cinerender?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just been told it's a new Archicad v18 'feature'!
I'm sure the layer names have changed for a very good reason, but I must admit I'm finding it a bit of a pain to work with at the moment.
Karl Ottenstein
I don't recommend that anyone other than a completely new user use the out-of-the-box template (which is where those layer names are) ... and then, only for learning.

Your template should be customized to make you efficient. What layers and settings, sheets, masters, pre-linked drawings work for one practice may not be the right ones for another.

As you continue to work in AC, your most recent project is probably (should be) your best in terms of software usage... and so it should then become the basis for your template for your next project. Etc. The layers and other settings you know and love will move forward with you.

Starting fresh each time with a basic template delivered with the product is a sure guarantee for lower productivity and some frustration.

As Laszlo suggested... open your most recent 17 project in 18 - or the 17 template - and let that become your template.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!