Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

which Web Editor to use?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am about to start creating a few small websites for our firm. I'm looking for a web editor that will be easy to use but also look good online. Adobe's GoLive seems like a robust product for its ability to compose a web page as I do an Illustrator or Photoshop page with graphics and text placed where I want them.
Previously when I was in architecture school I had used MS FrontPage to create websites for my portfolio and school projects. It was easy and straightforward--pretty much like composing in a Word document. That was also part of the problem that I had with FrontPage. When I wanted a more graphic page layout I was restricted to using a table which did not always give me the look that I wanted.
I did like FrontPage's automatic thumbnail feature to reduce the image size on the initial page which also automatically gave me a link to the full sized image.
Another thing that I liked about FrontPage was that I could assign content (text and images) to be justified left, center or right. This way I was assured that the content would be viewed pretty much as I composed it no matter what resolution and monitor the pages were viewed on.
I am concerned that if I switch to GoLive I will be creating pages that will not show up justified on the web or pages that will need to be scrolled across to read. Does GoLive have a justification and/or resize feature to make the pages fit to the user's browser?
Are there other reasons that I should be using GoLive vs. FrontPage?
I'm hoping to get some feedback and/or recommendations on a web editor. Right now I'm considering GoLive and FrontPage. DreamWeaver seems robust but it also has a reputation as having a very steep learning curve. I'm interested in hearing any opinions for the wizards on the forum.

Thank you,
John
13 REPLIES 13
David Pacifico
Booster
I like GoLive. It's worth taking an introduction class. The young man in my office uses DreamWeaver at home and GoLive at the office. After using both of them he wishes they were somehow combined.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Karl Ottenstein
I like Dreamweaver, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

I was pleasantly surprised with the current release of FrontPage. I had hated it before, as a typical Microsoft product and one that took control out of your hands and did things its (nonstandard) way. But, the current release seems pretty flexible - so that novices can be happy and experts can have control as well. Certain web hosting firms (1and1.com for example) give you a free copy with signup.

I hated GoLive's initial release, and haven't looked at it since. Sounds like Adobe has gotten it together there, from David's report.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
I use Dreamweaver and once get the hang of it is easy to use
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use GoLive on my site http://www.caddworks.com I like the way GoLive works with the other Adobe Products thereby making life easier. It's very graphic user's interface makes it easy to learn.

No, you will not have problems with justification ( I'm very particular about stuff like that as well)

Can't say much about FrontPage but I can't imagine that it would work as seamlessly with Adobe products as GoLive. I've often been tempted to look at DreamWeaver but in looking at it just couldn't see a real benefit to facing the learning curve... hey, I'll bet there are lots of AutoCAD users who say that about ArchiCAD

Woody
stefan
Expert
Frontpage?
Only when you are using the Frontpage extensions and have a Windows-based server and you need ASP and you do not ever want to look at the HTML the program is making.

---> That said, http://www.sbuild.com is made in Frontpage 😉

Dreamweaver is said to be the best, but not directly targeted at the WYSIWIG users who don't want to know anything about HTML.

I often use Frontpage Express, which once was free with some Internet Explorer update. It does only very little, but it's quite usable. I doesn't know frames and messed up code sometimes, but we prefer to have our course-pages quite simple and let the Stylesheets do their magic.
The main reason I keep using Frontpage Express is that it's simple to make tables and as long as you don't mess with formatting, the result is pretty clean.

GoLive should be good too.

And now some freebies:

1st page 2000 http://www.evrsoft.com/
AceHTML http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtmlfreeware/
NVU http://www.nvu.com/
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Karl Ottenstein
stefan wrote:
Frontpage?
Only when you are using the Frontpage extensions and have a Windows-based server and you need ASP and you do not ever want to look at the HTML the program is making.
That used to be my sour reaction to FrontPage, too, Stefan, but you can disable extensions and use any ftp upload, you do not have to use ASP (it does make ASP easy ... but so does Dreamweaver, along with other scripting and database protocols), and the HTML is no longer the horrible ugly mess that it used to be ... if you use CSS sheets.

For example, go to this one-page web site:
www.bodenarchitecture.com
and do a 'view source' ... and you'll see normal looking HTML, not the typical Microsoft format-tag junk.

Still, I would compare FrontPage to ChiefArchitect and Dreamweaver to ArchiCAD. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Nowadays, I use Golive. I like the integration with Photoshop etc, and I like the graphic control you get over a whole site and all of its parts, updates etc. (I did http://www.arkitur.se a long time ago).

But for a simple web page like the Boden site, I'd fire up Classic and the old Claris Home Page. 😉 In all of the years since Apple ceased development of it, I still haven't found anything that combines ease-of-use with power the way it does. And completely readable and uncluttered HTML too!

But I guess it's hard to find that program these days...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Aussie John
Newcomer
for further info the webpages in my signature was done in Dreamweaver.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Nowadays, I use Golive. I like the integration with Photoshop etc, and I like the graphic control you get over a whole site and all of its parts, updates etc. (I did http://www.arkitur.se a long time ago).

But for a simple web page like the Boden site, I'd fire up Classic and the old Claris Home Page. 😉 In all of the years since Apple ceased development of it, I still haven't found anything that combines ease-of-use with power the way it does. And completely readable and uncluttered HTML too!

But I guess it's hard to find that program these days...

Merry Christmas same here

In the same terms AC is like and accounting software, Revit is a live organism it has DNA

(this is expression has been applied for TM registration)