Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

why no ODBC or SQL on Mac

Aussie John
Newcomer
Just wondering why Mac is out in cold regarding access to SQL or ODBC. Filemaker is ODBC savvy.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
15 REPLIES 15
I have nothing to contribute but I would like to second the question.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
TomWaltz
Participant
I also have no information, and would like to "third" the question...
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Just wondering why Mac is out in cold regarding access to SQL or ODBC. Filemaker is ODBC savvy.
I guess I'm to sheltered in my own little world. What is SQL or ODBC?
TomWaltz
Participant
Structured Query Language and Open DataBase Connectivity. They are methods for database management and reporting.
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
Milard
They are protocols to link the one database to another, Since Archicad is one large database then it is possible to link take offs to a third party database such as filemaker.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
It is a mystery. Providing ODBC for each platform would be a reasonable thing to expect.

I believe that the OBDC driver was written by a 3rd party, and would guess that it was a 'bonus' that it was released for all of us to use. So, I would guess that GS would need to hear loudly how much the Mac half of us needs it before they commit (e.g., budget) to that development.

I'm confused about the SQL question, John: I have a SQL menu option on my Mac ... but certain tables (schema) do not work correctly, notably my old tip on retrieving layer information. But others seem to work fine.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
try this....

SQL for Mac....

http://developer.mimer.se/macosx/
Anonymous
Not applicable
r wrote:
try this....

SQL for Mac....

http://developer.mimer.se/macosx/
Interesting!...can a Mac Archicad user look into this to see if it addresses the "....Mac is out in cold regarding access to SQL or ODBC..." issue?

If it does, maybe we can move this thread to the next level by looking further into the possibilities. If PC's and Macs can equally access the model with this method, maybe Graphisoft would be more inclined to offer some insight about how to use it.

Dan K
TomWaltz
Participant
It's not SQL, but ODBC that is lacking. SQL on Mac works fine.
Tom Waltz