Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d print

Petros Ioannou
Booster
Anyone out there who has experience in producing a physical 3d model using his 3d ArchiCAD model?
How was it transformed to STL files?
What was the behavior of the various elements of AC (walls, windows , doors) in the 3d printing??

Thank you in advance
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
40 REPLIES 40
Djordje
Ace
Petros wrote:
Anyone out there who has experience in producing a physical 3d model using his 3d ArchiCAD model?
How was it transformed to STL files?
What was the behavior of the various elements of AC (walls, windows , doors) in the 3d printing??
The last I heard about this was from the Slovenian distributor ... some of them are here on the Forum, maybe they would like to share the experience?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Gorazd
Enthusiast
We have had good success with Vidar TruPrinter 6000. There are two machines here in Slovenia. This printer is capable of printing in colour, but for that you have to use VRML format. If the colors and textures are not needed you can use STL format also.

It is a straightforward process. Just save as VRML and send it to printers own's software. The main thing you have to be aware is, that it is capable of creating very thin elements, but they rarely survive the job of taking out of the machine. So printed elements should be more than 1mm thick. In reality you should prepare your model in advance and thicken or remove some parts. I will try to get some pictures of finished model that some of our archicad users have.
------

Gorazd Rajh

From AC 6.5 onward, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
...huh, still waiting for those images with great excitement. In the meantime I have some questions:
Can you produce transparent surfaces - for the glass?
What if you want a model bigger than the printer can produce? Any experience with post-printing adjustements, like assembling the model out of several parts? Also, what is the nature of the printed material, can you cut into it? And, of course, what are the costs of printing?
Gorazd
Enthusiast
Sorry for those pictures. I have to go to a client who for whoom we were creating this models. In the meantime, some of the answers to your questions.

You can not make transparent surfaces. The material itself is a white powder, so if no colors are used, the surface is white. If surface has some color, then during the proces one inkjet cartridge is responsible to color the powder. It works similar to printer. If something sticks out of his "paper space" it wont be modeled. So by carefully placing a model partially outside you can get only a part of it printed. Or you can disect your model in archicad and print it separately (each storey perhaps).

When the printing is finished the model is very easy to break apart, so it has to be sprayed with special solution which hardens the model. You can not cut into it. You can smooth the surface with sandpaper a little bit or you can even color it by hand. The cost should be between 1-2EUR per cubic centimeter of used powder. You can check http://www.vidar.com/3dprint/ (manufacturer), usa based service company http://www.alchemymodels.com , and http://www.ib-procadd.si/tiskalniki/tiskalniki_vidar.htm (Slovenian service company) for some info.
------

Gorazd Rajh

Petros Ioannou
Booster
I am in the middle of a big project so I did not have the time to thank you for your answers.
When I 'll find the time I will print a test 3d model here in thessaloniki and post some pics along with the feedback of the procedure.

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Gorazd
Enthusiast
Well, I forgot to post those pictures as I promised, so here they are, if someone is still interested. We made two models, one for the outer shell and one for the structure. They fitted perfectly. I have posted also the picture of the real building, which is completed in the mean time.
------

Gorazd Rajh

Gorazd
Enthusiast
The inner structure.
icit8.jpg
------

Gorazd Rajh

Gorazd
Enthusiast