Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD MEP Modeler

Karl Ottenstein
Some time during this coming week, we can anticipate an announcement from Graphisoft concerning their new MEP Modeler for ArchiCAD.

Various people that you know from these forums have been beta testing it for some time, but of course have been sworn to secrecy. We've just been released from our non-disclosure.

So, I can start the 'leak' of information here. 😉

Personally, I have no real-world MEP experience, so my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight compared to other people that you may hear from.

I'm really impressed with the MEP Modeler. It's fun to use and has quite a bit of intelligence. Routing and editing is easily done in 3D as well as 2D, and the various parts snap together intelligently...including smart connection 'ports' on both new MEP objects as well as related objects in the standard library (sinks, WCs, washer/dryer, furnace, etc). Touching elements can be treated as an assembly.

Conflicts with other building elements are easily highlighted with a Collision Detection feature that really works well and is cleverly integrated with the markup features of ArchiCAD. Only collisions between MEP elements and any other element are detected. (It is not a general-purpose collision detection feature: it will not detect a column that penetrates a floor, for example.)

The MEP Preferences let you pre-define the typical sizes and lengths used for ducts, pipes and cable carriers to make it easier to work with components that correspond to actual building elements.

The MEP Systems dialog lets you define the various systems to be used in your building and how elements in each system should appear. For example, ductwork is for air, but you can define systems for Cooling, Exhaust Air, Heating, Return Air, Recovery Air, etc as desired, all of which would use ductwork, but might display themselves with different pens, materials or line styles - and which would be selectable as systems.

There are a couple of unique work methods, but nothing big - just have to learn it. For example, if you select multiple MEP elements and want to modify them together, you cannot use the Object Settings dialog or Edit Selection Set, instead there is an Edit Selected Elements dialog. But, since that dialog is customized for MEP, it is actually cleaner, once you are used to it.

There are new pet palette options for editing, and there is a connection library part that one can assemble along with other AC elements and save a custom MEP part with smart ports without programming in GDL. For example, if you needed a floor grate for a conditioned air system, you could create it with tiny walls or beams (etc), place the connection object as desired under it, and save the bits as a new lib part. When you route ductwork to this floor grate, it will snap to the port.

This is just a way-cool and long-awaited addition to ArchiCAD.

I have no information on pricing, etc.... so am staying tuned for the announcement like everyone else. We're told that a WIBU protection keyplug is required to run the MEP Modeler within ArchiCAD: it can be either the same keyplug that has your ArchiCAD license, or a separate one.

Cheers,
Karl

PS There is also a new plug-in for AutoCAD MEP 2008 and 2009 that allows you to export AutoCAD MEP systems into ArchiCAD via IFC. I did not test this, so can't offer any comments.

PPS I do not receive any compensation from Graphisoft for this post or any of my time/work on these forums or the wiki.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
63 REPLIES 63
Just purchase MEP Modeler and had a chance to go thru it.

Modelling a modest two bedroom apartment HVAC System was fairly easy once I got a good understanding of the "Routing" technique.

Editing was also easy, except that I have on an off results while inserting a "T" or a "WYE" to branch out. For some unknown reason sometimes it worked and other times did not.

I recommend that initially, you spend some time to understand and test the settings of the MEP Systems & MEP Preferences, and also the settings for displaying and printing your work. The number of parameters and the choices available are awesome, so be prepare to spend some time to get some standards and consistency to your different ductwork and piping representation.
I know that we never do it, but reading the manual before plunging ahead saves time (I know I am preaching in the Wilderness here)

Where I have miserably failed is in understanding how to create Custom MEP Parts. The manual guide you to "select a file name and location for the parts" and two paragraphs later it says that the "the new MEP object is in the Library Managers Other Objects Group".

Maybe Karl or Erica could pitch in and explain better than the manual because I am lost on this one. I was unableto find where is that "Duct Terminal Settings" panel shown in page 53 of the Manual.

Speaking of Objects, do not be deterred by the lack of some common items.
Ceiling Fan Coil Units, Vertical Fan Coils, Heat Pumps and the like, are created easily with chunks of slabs or walls; need an "In-line Fan" ? use the Profiler. So, once I master how to convert these pieces to Custom MEP Parts,I'll be a happy camper again!

Conrado Dominguez
San Mateo, CA
[/img]
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Conrado wrote:
Just purchase MEP Modeler and had a Editing was also easy, except that I have on an off results while inserting a "T" or a "WYE" to branch out. For some unknown reason sometimes it worked and other times did not.
Conrado:

Make sure that Groups are Suspended when inserting a T, Take-off or Wye into an existing duct run.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David:

Thanks for the reply and advise. I'll try supending groups.

BTW, I would like to share that if you use a Profile created Objet, then add the MEP Connection 12 and then save the 3DModel as Custom, MEP 3D script makes a"call" for the Object created with Profile, so do not delete the File of Objects joined to the Connection 12.

Conrado Dominguez
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.
Of course, everyone should do this. But, in the case of MEP, it only runs in 12 with all of the latest hotfixes, so at least until the next hotfix, not essential... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Make sure that Groups are Suspended when inserting a T, Take-off or Wye into an existing duct run.
Not necessary. Works perfectly for me with groups enabled. As you know, duct routings are NOT auto grouped, but rather smart-assembled.

IF you were to group your duct elements (which is completely unnecessary in most cases IMHO because of the smart selection tool), then, yes, you would have to suspend grouping if you want to T or Y out of a piece of duct that is a group member.

Cheers,
Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Conrado wrote:
Where I have miserably failed is in understanding how to create Custom MEP Parts. The manual guide you to "select a file name and location for the parts" and two paragraphs later it says that the "the new MEP object is in the Library Managers Other Objects Group".

Maybe Karl or Erica could pitch in and explain better than the manual because I am lost on this one. I was unableto find where is that "Duct Terminal Settings" panel shown in page 52 of the Manual.
Hi Conrado,

The options for the 'subtype' are determined by the objects settings for the connection object. In the attached screenshot, I selected 'Duct' as the connection class ... when I save the entire assembly after having made this setting, the 'duct flow terminal' option is available in the subtype field of the save dialog... and the result is selectable with the Duct Terminal tool.

(I am a bit frustrated with the lack of hotspots for the MEP Connection 12 building-block object - just a center hotspot on either end. Makes it much more difficult to align it with things than if it had hotspots on each corner in 2D and 3D - including inner/outer edge of flanges, etc. I don't see an option for 'show additional hotspots', etc.)

Cheers,
Karl
Picture 1.png
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Karl wrote:
David wrote:
Not necessary. Works perfectly for me with groups enabled. As you know, duct routings are NOT auto grouped, but rather smart-assembled.

IF you were to group your duct elements (which is completely unnecessary in most cases IMHO because of the smart selection tool), then, yes, you would have to suspend grouping if you want to T or Y out of a piece of duct that is a group member.
If Autogroup is On when Routing (creating) a duct run, then the duct elements will be grouped. When trying to take a branch line off of this run with Groups enabled, you will get the Insert Junction Element dialog box, select a junction, and then nothing will happen (this will work if Groups are Suspended). So other options are to make sure that Autogroup is Off when Routing, or selecting the Grouped duct run and Ungrouping it. Since the first duct run is not selected when starting the Junction Element, it is not apparent it is a Group, unlike editing other Grouped elements (a line of walls, a sequence of lines, etc.) where the Group hotspots will show.

If Autogroup is usually On, the ducts end up being grouped, and the easiest solution is to Suspend Groups. As there is no feedback about the Grouped duct run during Junction Insertion, I think Conrado’s problem will be not be unusual.

Cheers,
David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
If Autogroup is On when Routing (creating) a duct run, then the duct elements will be grouped. When trying to take a branch line off of this run with Groups enabled, you will get the Insert Junction Element dialog box, select a junction, and then nothing will happen (this will work if Groups are Suspended). So other options are to make sure that Autogroup is Off when Routing, or selecting the Grouped duct run and Ungrouping it. Since the first duct run is not selected when starting the Junction Element, it is not apparent it is a Group, unlike editing other Grouped elements (a line of walls, a sequence of lines, etc.) where the Group hotspots will show.

If Autogroup is usually On, the ducts end up being grouped, and the easiest solution is to Suspend Groups. As there is no feedback about the Grouped duct run during Junction Insertion, I think Conrado’s problem will be not be unusual.

Cheers,
David
I apologize, David. You're absolutely right. I had autogroup disabled and didn't realize it would affect routings.

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:
Dear Archi-Talkers,

Please find the official announcement about the Graphisoft MEP Modeler here

www.graphisoft.com/company/press_zone/graphisoft_mep_modeler.html
"The International English and German versions of the Graphisoft MEP Modeler start to ship on October 22nd. Further language versions including the US, French, Spanish and Russian versions will ship in the coming weeks."

how many weeks are included in the "coming" weeks?
Philippe wrote:
how many weeks are included in the "coming" weeks?
The SketchUp addon for AC12 has been promised to be available "soon" for months. So I am convinced that they are using a geologic calendar.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10