cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Artlantis Studio 2.0 or Vue 6.5 (E-on) ?

PB
Advocate
Advice / opinions please:

I am working on a large beach front project for which I wish to create good still renderings and animations. The project is located in West Africa and has a considerable number of palm trees, 66 apartments in 3 blocks, reception building and 30 villas.

I am currently looking at Artlantis Studio (adequate quality / features compensated by ease of use & speed?), and Vue 6,5 Infinite by E-on which appears to have the ability to produce excellent settings / renderings with considerably more features than Artlantis.

I shall try the trial version of Vue, but was hoping that some of you may be able to share your experience & opinions of Vue - particularly in comparison with Artlantis.

From the recent press release I see that Artlantis are introducing some new features (version 2.0) but these do not seem to be in the same league as Vue....

Is Vue appreciably more difficult to learn / implement than Artlantis? Is Vue much slower in generating stills / animations?

In my particular case, the ability to animate beach front waves & have atmospheric/wind effects appears very tempting...... but please bear in mind that I am a novice in the field of rendering!

All help gratefully received,

Patrice

http://www.e-onsoftware.com
http://www.artlantis.com
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
16 REPLIES 16
stefan
Expert
Vue is optimized for landscapes, Artlantis is optimized for rendering of mostly mesh-based flat CAD models.

Ideally, you would integrate the CAD model in a Vue scene, but it is a complex beast to learn. In practice, Artlantis might give you faster and good results for architectural renderings, but I agree that it is not the best tool for detailed landscape visualization.

If you want to have the leafs billowing in the breeze, Artlantis will not help you at all.

Vue is targeting collaboration with high-end animation software, e.g. 3ds Max and the others. Not Artlantis.

For a still, you could try to combine renderings from both with Photoshop, but for animations it is almost impossible.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
PB
Advocate
Thanks Stefan,

Indeed I would agree whole-heartedly with you: I have invested in both Artlantis Studio & Vue Infinite recently and am (very) busy learning both!

Artlantis takes a few full days to be comfortably up & running, and provides quick, efficient rendering and animation. 'Artlantis R & Studio, The Missing Book' has been invaluable in getting upto speed with the necessary advice for using glass/neonshaders, etc.

I am currently using Art Studio 1.2.6 with V2.0 on order, and to date it is great for rendering buildings in a relatively simple setting: Ideal for communication between architect & client, and for city scenes which are dominated by buildings, with only a scattering of plants. And of course there is an elegant interconnectivity between ArchiCAD & Artlantis. The combination of ease of use, speed and quality, for interior work is pretty much ideal for me.

However, so far, Artlantis is too weak on creating/portraying 'seductive' landscape settings for its buildings - although the features in V2.0 appear to address this to some extent. To date, my two real criticisms of Artlantis are the cost of becoming sufficiently well equiped with shaders/objects, which is almost prohibitively expensive: I feel that they are milking the higher budgets available to professionals as opposed to personal purchasers. And, an almost complete ineptitude in marketing/sales by Abvent (my personal experience & opinion).

Having come to the above conclusion regarding Artlantis, I have also taken the plunge with Vue Infinite: I currently require the ability to create very seductive external views (& eventually animations) of a development on the West African coast.

I am very much in the learning stage at the moment, but my current opinion is that Vue will allow one to very quickly set up and render excellent detailed and planted scenes created within Vue by the presets of their tools. By adopting any one of a multitude of preset atmospheres or scenes, excellent results are quickly achievable.

However, straying from the well beaten path - essential for us since we wish to import buildings/terrains from ArchiCAD and insert them into models of existing sites, is so far proving to be a much more taxing matter: There is a pretty steep learning curve, and I am currently having what Vue terms 'resource' problems when importing 4 buildings as 3ds objects. I am currently trying to find out how to resolve this issue ...... and would be most grateful for any advice from any ArchiCAD user who is using Vue in their work flow.

My current feeling with Vue is that the learning curve is similar to that for ArchiCAD - a little bewildering at first, and one needs to attain a certain level of competence before it becomes comfortable (and efficient): Although it is agreeable to see that it is much less expensive to purchase materials/objects for Vue than for Artlantis....

Hope this helps any other 'novice' renderers in the ArchiCAD community considering these issues: As I was advised on this forum, Artlantis will give good results with a relatively friendly learning curve, & is 'optimised' for use with ArchiCAD. Vue (& others?) have the potential to offer results that are of a greater order of magnitude but the learning curve (and system resources?) are not to be under-estimated.

When I've progressed sufficiently, I'll post some 'works-in-progress': But you'll have to be gentle with me!
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
stefan
Expert
A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I used Vue 2.1 and 3.1 with an ArchiCAD model: http://www2.asro.kuleuven.be/asro/English/HOME/SBs/render/vuedesprit.htm

It involved loading the 3ds file exported from ArchiCAD. I currently assume this to still be the best approach. Texture mappings survives the translation. You can create better materials in Vue afterwards.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I hearing correctly that LIGHTWORKS is being phased out of the MINDS of our Pro ArchiCad users which will follow by non pro ones like myself?
Thanks,
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
We will "keyboards and minds" them.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
We will "keyboards and minds" them.
Do not realy understand the comment but assume an Artlantis "(LightWorks) Artlantis In ArchiCAD" book is on someone's mind
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
This is derived from a Vietnam war propaganda phrase where the American forces were to "hearts and minds" the Vietnamese people with gum and chocolate. Didn't work.
Dwight Atkinson