Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MaxonForm Workflow

I have been working on a project with MaxonForm and have the following questions that I can't find answers for in either the manual or the tutorials.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. create an object in MaxonForm taing advantage of the hierarchical grouping of objects and deformers - check

2. transfer the object back to ArchiCAD saved as a model - check

3. return that object back to MaxonForm for further editing (with MaxonForm's object hierarchy intact OR to be able to point the GSM object back to a workspace or C4D model to edit/refine and then return it again to ArchiCAD - in other words a round trip model. - no go, no $200!

I am so far unable to do this. I can create a modeling environment that in MaxonForm that is linked to the ArchiCAD model. I can save the resultant by returning it to ArchiCAD, but when I try to do further editing back in MaxonForm, I'm presented with a unified version of the object. I've tried opening a working MaxonForm model and pasting its contents into the "linked" workspace, but very often opening that model causes the "linked" space to be closed.

Am I really doing something wrong or is this justs a big GOTCHA!
"the large print giveth and the small print taketh away. - Tom Waits.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
Just a note and it could be worthless since I don't have MaxonForm I have the rendering plugin for C4.

Try to link the AC file first with a basic primitive object, then apply the modifiers in C4 and link back. If MF works like the AC to C4 plugin you should be able to keep editing the object.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

So far any deformer applied to the original ArchiCAD derived primitives disappear and all I see is a single, uneditable object (the bend deformer isn't there, just the 'bent' object. -

I am missing the step where I can somehow deliberately say that this GSM object is linked to this C4D file.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
LiHigh
Newcomer
If you like to return that object back to MaxonForm for further editing with MaxonForm's object hierarchy intact, always save the object as a Cinema 4D file right before clicking on Send back to ArchiCAD.

--- In ArchiCAD, select the object in 3D window and choose "Edit selected Object with MaxonForm".

--- Usually the ArchiCAD model is opened in an “Untitled” window in MaxonForm. Delete the object exported from Archicad and replace it by merging the previously saved Cinema 4D file onto this “Untitled” file.

I hope this will help!
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
TomWaltz
Participant
Aaron wrote:
So far any deformer applied to the original ArchiCAD derived primitives disappear and all I see is a single, uneditable object (the bend deformer isn't there, just the 'bent' object. -

I am missing the step where I can somehow deliberately say that this GSM object is linked to this C4D file.
The GSM file is not linked to a C4D file. MaxonForm essentially just creates the warped surfaces and sends them back as a GSM file.

LiHigh has the best method of maintaining as much editability as possible (is that a word?)
Tom Waltz
stefan
Expert
This is precisely a reason for me to NOT use Maxonform: loosing the C4D hierarchy...

Is this correct? Do you have to use such a workaround or is there something wrong here?

So bad that there is no Demo to try this myself... And no information about a non-commercial (academic) version too.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
This is precisely a reason for me to NOT use Maxonform: loosing the C4D hierarchy...
Stefan,

I've learned that this is not the case. As LiHigh pointed out and as I've subsequently learned, the key is saving your MaxonFrom model as a c4d model work in progress.

The key to this is an understanding that what you're doing is connecting one mdoeling environment to the other as opposed to making a connection between a MaxonForm model and an ArchiCAD GSM object.

When you make a connection between the ArchiCAD model and the MaxonForm modeling space yo are presented with an empty modeling window - MaxonForm doesn't remember anything about the GSM object created in previous sessions.

There are several options available when creating or editing a MaxonForm object.

1) start with nothing from ArchiCAD and make the connection to MaxonForm in either the plan window Or the 3D window. Everything you do in MaxonForm will be sent to the common or Universal Origin.

2a & b) start with something highlighted in ArchiCAD in the 3D window. This can be something highlighted in the plan window so that its the only thing visible. If you're doing this you should probably put this at the Universal Origin as it is transferred coordinate-for-coordinate into the MaxonForm modeling space.

2b) open the ArchiCAD 3D window and make the selection there. When the connection is made to Maxonform, the whole model can be made visible as a background object or can be turned off. Whatever you're editing stays at its ArchiCAD coordinates.

With an empty MaxonForm modelspace in front of you the trick then is to load one or more MaxonForm models using the model navigation tree on the right hand side of the interface (not the file menu across the top!). From there, you work on your piece, send it back to ArchiCAD and either create a new GSM object or overwrite an existing one.

This is completely foreign to my way of working, but I have acquired a grudging respect for what MaxonForm can do. The next step on my learning path is to understand the various modes in which an object can be worked on: object, object axis, points, polygons, edges; and determining which of the tools is the most effective for the task and how the modeling objects - deformers, etc. act upon what you've got.

I was able to create a 0-thickness solution to my design problem, but have not been able to determine the best means and methods for turining this into a fabricatable "mechanical" model.

For anyone who is interested, attached is a flattened image of what I'm trying to do.

This is a a flat piece of 3mm aluminum from which a number of bird shapes will be cut out. This panel is then bent to a radius and welded to another 3mm backing panel and powder coat painted.

Cast bronze birds are then set into selected holes in the bent aluminum panel. The bronze birds are about 6mm thick and have a rabbet or a lip on their outward surface. Raised letters are cast onto the top surface as well.

I can make an array of birds with meshes, bend them to a given radius. I have not been able to successfuly punch holes into the aluminum panel and any panel I've tried to bend either doesn't bend or deforms into something that looks like a cookie sheet (or a bird's nest - maybe!) with holes at the bottom.

If anyone has suggestions as to the best way of pulling this off I'd be delighted to hear from you.

When I set out on this first project I thought it might be simple, be something that a mechanical design modeler is meant to do that ArchiCAD really isn't meant to do. I'm still convinced of that.....
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Steps I've taken to create sg. similar:
-created a cylinder without caps
-created an editable polygon object from it (Make editable)
-selected all polygons on it
-Extruded them to create a thickness

-created a Polygon object and edited it to the bird shape
-moved it so it touches the perimeter of the cylinder from the outside
-(at this point one could multply the bird or bend it to the surcafe...)
-extruded it so it fully crosses the surface of the cilynder

-duplicated both objects

created two solid operations:
-one extrudes the bird from a cylinder
-the result is a cylinder with a bird shaped hole
-the other one creates an intersection with the other cylinder
-the result is the infill bird
-changed the display color of the infill bird, so when it is sent back to AC a different material will be applied

I hope it helps.

Gabor
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
And the C4D file
Thank You Gabor.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1