Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Problem while Merging Autocad Layouts into Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most of time , there are two or more autocad layouts in one autocad file. For example, there are floor plan layout, ceiling plan layout with different layer combination in the same autocad model space.

I would like to rebuild the model in Archicad by refering different autocad layouts. So I choose to merge the autocad layouts into Archicad layout book. Therefore the autocad layouts could be separatedly viewed in Archicad.

To my great disappoint, there are several problems hard to be solved.

Problem 1: Disappearing Text while in Trace Reference
In autocad, some texts are written directly at autocad layout instead of autocad viewports. After merging autocad layouts into Archicad layout, the text could be seen. However when using Trace reference, the text seems disappear. (Figure 1)

Problem 2: Inproper Scale while in Trace Reference
The viewport scale in autocad A3 layout is 1:5. If I set archicad to the scale other than 1: 5 such as 1:100 while merging Autocad Autocad, there will be problem. When using Trace reference of the Archicad layout,the reference scale would be 1:100. (Figure 2)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kent wrote:
Most of time , there are two or more autocad layouts in one autocad file. For example, there are floor plan layout, ceiling plan layout with different layer combination in the same autocad model space.

I would like to rebuild the model in Archicad by refering different autocad layouts. So I choose to merge the autocad layouts into Archicad layout book. Therefore the autocad layouts could be separated viewed in Archicad.

To my great disappoint, there are several problems hard to be solved.

Problem 1: Disappearing Text while in Trace Reference
In autocad, some texts are written directly at autocad layout instead of autocad viewports. After merging autocad layouts into Archicad layout, the text could be seen. However when using Trace reference, the text seems disappear. (Figure 1)

Problem 2: Inproper Scale while in Trace Reference
The viewport scale in autocad A3 layout is 1:5. If I set archicad to the scale other than 1: 5 such as 1:100 while merging Autocad Autocad, there will be problem. When using Trace reference of the Archicad layout,the reference scale would be 1:100. (Figure 2)
Anonymous
Not applicable
The autocad file and archicad file are zipped and uploaded. Please copy the full link in the parentheses, press the download, and save the file for your testing.

(https://rapidshare.com/#!download|438p3|3637421937|Test.rar|1720|0|0)
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Kent Xiao,

Thank you for the detailed report. I examined your files and got to the following conclusions:

Problem 1. As a default setting of Trace & Reference texts and dimensions are hidden. If you open the Trace & Reference palette, you can set individually to show or hide any element type on the Trace. (see attached image)

Problem 2: When you merge a dwg to ArchiCAD, there are some options regarding the scale of the drawing. Take a look at the Drawing Unit section of this article: http://www.archicadwiki.com/DWG/Import/Translator

When you have an already scaled drawing in AutoCAD's Paper Space what you want to merge into the Layout Book, the current scale on the floor plan will determine the scale of it on the floor plan view.

So before you merge your dwg drawing into the Layout Book, you need to set the same scale on the ArchiCAD floor plan view as it is in the AutoCAD Paper Space in order to get the right scale when you use the layout as a Trace. After the merging process Current Scale can be set back to the scale you want to work in: The trace scale will be correct.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much for your great help! My question one was solved, and my question two could be explained!

Here comes another question. If there are two or more different-scale viewports in one Autocad Layout, Based on the solution for Question Two, I could set Current Scale to be same as one Autocad viewport while merging. When using Trace and Reference, only one viewport could be correctly displayed.

I think the graphisoft could make little improvement in Trace and Reference. Add just one option of controlling the scale of the reference in the Trace and Reference Pallete, and the scale list in the option should include the various viewport's scales. Therefor the reference in Archicad could be displayed as desirable scale.
Csaba wrote:
Dear Kent Xiao,

Thank you for the detailed report. I examined your files and got to the following conclusions:

Problem 1. As a default setting of Trace & Reference texts and dimensions are hidden. If you open the Trace & Reference palette, you can set individually to show or hide any element type on the Trace. (see attached image)

Problem 2: When you merge a dwg to ArchiCAD, there are some options regarding the scale of the drawing. Take a look at the Drawing Unit section of this article: http://www.archicadwiki.com/DWG/Import/Translator

When you have an already scaled drawing in AutoCAD's Paper Space what you want to merge into the Layout Book, the current scale on the floor plan will determine the scale of it on the floor plan view.

So before you merge your dwg drawing into the Layout Book, you need to set the same scale on the ArchiCAD floor plan view as it is in the AutoCAD Paper Space in order to get the right scale when you use the layout as a Trace. After the merging process Current Scale can be set back to the scale you want to work in: The trace scale will be correct.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thanks for the question.

If you want to change the Trace scale from time to time there is a way to do so. Set the Trace Reference then change the current scale of the plan view to the desired scale. Go to Trace/Reset to Default Position. This will change the scale of the Trace to the current scale of the plan view.

I hope this helps you with the different scale drawings on one layout.

Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's really helpful! Thank you so much!
Csaba wrote:
Thanks for the question.

If you want to change the Trace scale from time to time there is a way to do so. Set the Trace Reference then change the current scale of the plan view to the desired scale. Go to Trace/Reset to Default Position. This will change the scale of the Trace to the current scale of the plan view.

I hope this helps you with the different scale drawings on one layout.

Best regards,