Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Reduce IFC file

ananas
Advocate

Hi!

Is it possible to reduce IFC files and if yes, how?

My Archicad file is over 1GB big and its IFC export is 100MB big.
If I understand correclty, IFC file is already reduced as much as possible? Or are there any ways to make it even smaller without zipping it?

I would like to reduce tis size by half 🙂

Operating system used: Windows 11 Pro 23H2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@ananas wrote:

Do you have any advice on how to reduce the amount of information exported.

1. It's important to export the model according to the recipient's requirements. This means that you shouldn't export the model 'as is', but according to the BIM Execution Plan (BEP), or at least according to the model requirements for a specific discipline. Correct model content and data is much more important than the size of the model in megabytes.

Export only the data that you need. For example:
    If you're exporting the model for structural engineers, keep only the structural elements (no furniture, no HVAC, no plumbing, etc.), use only a Partial Structure Display (Core of Load-Bearing Elements Only), so you wouldn't export all the wall composites. If structural engineers don't need classifications and properties, omit them too.

Experiment with different IFC translators, find the one that suits your needs, then configure and refine it.

GAG_0-1717088712154.png

George

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GAG
Advocate

There was a nifty tool called Solibri IFC Optimizer, but it seems to have been discontinued.

However, if you want to drastically reduce IFC file size, you need to reduce the amount of information exported.

George

Thank you!

When I check the IFC file after export, it seems like it only exports the information that are edited and keeps out all that we did not use.

Just a comment - an IFC-file beeing 100mb, coming from a 1gb file, that is what I would consider a small file. I've had way bigger IFC's from smaller files than that. 

Why the need to cramp the size?

.Kamelite

Windows 10, Archicad 27
Solution

@ananas wrote:

1. It's important to export the model according to the recipient's requirements. This means that you shouldn't export the model 'as is', but according to the BIM Execution Plan (BEP), or at least according to the model requirements for a specific discipline. Correct model content and data is much more important than the size of the model in megabytes.

Export only the data that you need. For example:
    If you're exporting the model for structural engineers, keep only the structural elements (no furniture, no HVAC, no plumbing, etc.), use only a Partial Structure Display (Core of Load-Bearing Elements Only), so you wouldn't export all the wall composites. If structural engineers don't need classifications and properties, omit them too.

Experiment with different IFC translators, find the one that suits your needs, then configure and refine it.

GAG_0-1717088712154.png

George

Hi, 
I noticed that biig libraries and publisher set adds alot to the file size. So in my case I was expecting a muuch smaler IFC file (that does not export anything else, but geometry).

I need to reduce the size in order to import IFC file into a software that has IFC size limitation.
I did not succeed though, I think my IFC file is the smallest possible already 😄

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

@ananas,

I think the best way we could help you is if you posted all the export settings in all IFC Translation Dialog as screenshots.

I would particularly be interested in the setting of the following subdialogs:

• Model Filter for IFC Export
  • Geometry Conversion for IFC Export
  • Data Conversion for IFC Export
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Kamelite
Advocate

Have you tested any other IFC-compressoer siftware, like this? https://yushen-liu.github.io/IFCCompressor/index_software.html

I have not tested it myself...

.Kamelite

Windows 10, Archicad 27

Hi!

I did notice the OPENINGS cause an issue! Size is not an issue at all!
There is an exklamation mark, if I export the openings:

ananas_0-1718093748467.png
I don´t know why thought. Any suggestion on how could I analyse the issue?
I deleted all the openings from the file and the error remains.

If i turn off openings in IFC translation settings, there is no explamation mark and my IFC file can be used in another software (no matter the size).

I do see this exklamation mark with different Archicad projects, also in the empty fresh one from Archicad template.

Setup info provided by author