Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

SketchUp for Archicad 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a really great plugin for ArchiCAD 9. Is there one for ArchiCAD 10 yet? I looked all over the Graphisoft website and I cannot find it. My graduate studio at the University of Maryland is actually using ArchiCAD 10 for studio this semester and the Sketch Up plugin would be great.

The semester starts Wednesday. Any chance I it will be released before then?

Thanks for making ArchiCAD 10 free!
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff, I am with you on this one.

I don't disagree entirely with modeling in AC as a good idea, but the more time I spend in SketchUp the more impressed I am with it's abilities. I have also seen some things being demoed by Google that will make it even better.

At least for me, this all meas that I am likely to take the SketchUp model further and further up the process and being able to bring that data into AC will be even more valuable.

David,

Seattle, WA.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to see this is provoking some debate,...
Matthew, you're right, the rant about GS not buying @last was completely talking through my hat.
However, for you to say that it's adequate to simply rebuild an object in Archicad is, I think completely missing the point. By extending that argument, we would be all printing off dimensioned autocad drawings from collaborators so we could redraw them, line by line in Archicad, instead of just importing as x-refs.
Maybe it's a personal workflow issue - my position, now that I've returned to college, is that I'm perfectly used to leapfrogging through multiple programs to get the project data I need.

For example, how about scanning building plans into Photoshop;
importing into Adobe Streamline to automatically convert to vectors lines; then importing into Illustrator so I can export to .dwg or .3ds;
then importing the vector data into 3ds max or Viz;
before extruding them into into meshes...
(and then possibly exporting these meshes into Sketchup to finally bring into Archicad!)
That's an extreme version, and I hate to imagine the total cost of these programs if I wanted to do the same thing in a commercial environment, but that's where the industry is heading.

My main issue is with the fact that Archicad has no equivalent to Revit's Massing Tools. And the way that these are integrated with the rest of the Revit workflow (ie. being able to convert blobby masses into, say curtain walling) is way beyond what we can do with even the Sketchup-to-Archicad workflow, or even with the new slanted walls.
(however, I spent yesterday evening tinkering with an old demo copy of Revit 5 from 2003 I think, and it just seemed plain UGLY - don't think I could convert)

Ha!, I've spent so long typing this, I see David in Seattle has added another post.
This seems to be striking a chord with people.

One last thing, and I feel bad writing this here, but these forums are for the dissemination of useful knowledge for Archicad users...
Maxonform would be a great addition to the Archicad user...if it was FREE. (or at least offered at a nominal price)

To charge a few hundred, (or is it more than a thousand euros?) for this kind of plugin is just taking the p*ss out of users.
I suppose different corporations have different policies, but to compare:
Next Limit (the creators of Maxwell Render) offer a 3ds Max interface for Maxwell at no extra charge, however, E-On Software (the makers of Vue Infinite) charge almost the same amount again as the full cost of Vue Infinite, for X-Stream, their 3ds Max interface.

I think I'm obliged to point out that Archicad users can download any Open-Source 3d program (eg: Blender
http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html ), export their Archicad data to it, manipulate it the same way that Maxonform would, and import back into Archicad using the .3ds in add-on, whilst still retaining materials.
I'd feel worse posting this on Maxon's website, but I guess as this Graphisoft.com, I'm only informing Archicad users of their rights.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Last thing,
I really think there should be a single forum topic that deals with these sorts of things:

-Things like Sketchup integration (some posts are placed into the Data-Sharing Forum, and others into the Other-Products Froum, for example)

-How to achieve more progressive (eg. "blobby") forms (ie. workarounds to that end)

-integration with programs like ecotect

-anything to do with progressive, wildly ambitious B.I.M.

Basically, the sort of forum that Frank Gehry or any young trendy Dutch firm (or students like myself) would browse (if they were Archicad users). That probably sounds glib, but innovation leads to progress.

And I don't think that www.architectsjury.com is sufficient. Being a student is no excuse for poor design skills, or inappropriate use of thousands of euros worth of rendering software (that probably sounds glib, too)
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is not good....especially when I am trying to convince my company to move over...it worked in 9, but not in 10...c'mon......is this really true
Anonymous
Not applicable
WHEN????????????????????
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
watch (the same topic, five lines below):
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12000
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rafal wrote:
watch (the same topic, five lines below):
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12000

ok,
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that sketchup plugin for AC10 is very important, and i give my vote for it. If in future AC become something like sketchup in modelig walls, slabs etc then archicad will be right tool for archtect.

Can u believe that even if WE asked for 3d rotate command we still have to rewrite gdl elelements to be able to do that. I was checking AC 10 and yes it has good things but that is cosmetics, nothing much important. Still u have to buy addons if u want to create someting different. But i must say its better then any other ac.

-anyway, i love connection between ac and sketchup SO GIVE IT TO US !
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
My two cents;
SketchUp is widely used in Architecture schools in the US. It fills a legitimate role in the pedagogy that is different from Matthew's points about professional practice.

Getting the plug-in to import SketchUp models into AC10 would help us greatly in getting ArchiCAD adopted by Architecture students. This, in turn, will have the greatest possible effect on gaining market share in the next five years in the US. When one considers the cost of updating the AC9 plug-in, there hardly is a better investment that GS can make, IMHO.
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 27
Apple M3 Max + Dell Precision Workstation
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
While I generally agree with your conclusions with regard to modeling an entire project, Matthew, I disagree on the importance of the SU plug-in. SU is much simpler and more widely distributed than MaxonForm for component/object modeling (e.g. doors and windows). And with a little added intelligence (e.g. enclosed volumes within a certain range become same sized—not ultra thin—slabs, walls, roofs) I would likely change my mind about structural elements as well.
I hadn't thought of it for custom content creation, just schematic design. You have an interesting point.