Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

State Plane and Coordination

ares997
Contributor
Team:
I am attempting to coordinate a model generated in Revit 2016 that is on State Plane with a model created in Archicad 20 that is modeled close to the Project Origin. The issue that I am having is that there doesn't seem to be a way to accurately export the Archicad file located in State Plane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System.

The goal is to be able to consistently export a model out of Archicad 20 that is relative to State Plane Coordinates so that I can generate single model that are referencing two files in either Navisworks or Solibri.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that would greatly appreciated.
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
ares997 wrote:
Team:
I am attempting to coordinate a model generated in Revit 2016 that is on State Plane with a model created in Archicad 20 that is modeled close to the Project Origin. The issue that I am having is that there doesn't seem to be a way to accurately export the Archicad file located in State Plane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System.

The goal is to be able to consistently export a model out of Archicad 20 that is relative to State Plane Coordinates so that I can generate single model that are referencing two files in either Navisworks or Solibri.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that would greatly appreciated.
try to send to archicad. before doing that mark a point on revit project that you will know its coordinates in lat lon or wgs84
ares997
Contributor
That doesn't seem to solve the issue. Even when I open the IFC file that was created in Revit it is brought in at an arbitrary location that isn't necessarily relative to State Plane.

The issue surfaces when I try to bring in the two models into Navisworks. One is located on State Plane Coordinates the other from Archicad is 2million feet away from that location.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ares997 wrote:
That doesn't seem to solve the issue. Even when I open the IFC file that was created in Revit it is brought in at an arbitrary location that isn't necessarily relative to State Plane.

The issue surfaces when I try to bring in the two models into Navisworks. One is located on State Plane Coordinates the other from Archicad is 2million feet away from that location.

if you know the position of a certain point in your revit model and import it to archicad then you can use marquee to move the whole model close to project origin to the required position close to the other model. Then export to solibri
Thats what I was trying to tell you. Hope it helps.
ares997
Contributor
Oh. Yeah that is an option. I guess I am getting lost in the desire to have the models end up in the their final location relative to State Plane.
Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way since you mentioned that the archicad model import some thousand miles away, you should use the survey point.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/open-bim/survey-point-is-now-supported-at-ifc-importexport/

to make your coordinates objects show the correct info read this thread and watch video:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=262939&highlight=#262939

to move your revit model with marquee tool watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbHve1Qq71I&lc=z134zrapynmdcxgem22ld5e51xipgf3ae04
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a clip that explains the new Survey Point feature of AC20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38fbQ2I0sQ&index=1&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWWYJ3Uwe6dVjQz2uAfwVnr3
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
ares997
Contributor
Thanks for the response. Very helpful though a little confusing as to which way is the best way to share the coordinate system between two different files.

When I export the file from Revit as an IFC with the Add-In and then open it up in Archicad the SP (Survey Point) ends up at some location not necessary where it was placed, for instance I have the survey point located at the intersection of two grid lines in the Revit file and it ends up a million feet away from that original location. Which I think I understand as it is putting it somewhere that is relevant to the origin but also related to the original location of the SP.

So in an effort to create a shared coordinated I just copied that SP from the file that I just imported and pasted it into my working Archicad file thinking that when I export it I would now have this shared location between the files. But instead the file gets pushed into a different location.

At this point I am going to try and just import the project that I have created in Archicad into the Archicad file that has the coordinate system in it that is exporting correctly but that isn't the ideal work flow.

I would like to be able to establish a known location so that when I export out of Archicad with the correct SP location I can import it into either Revit or Navis works consistently as I make changes to the file.

Any more references or suggestions would be great. Thanks for your help and comments thus far I greatly appreciate it.
OrginalSP-Revit.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not use revit but from what I see your tracker shows that you are very far from 0,0 of the canvas. Try before exporting to archicad to move your model or a copy of it to 0,0 or close to it.

hope it works
ares997
Contributor
I can't figure out how to get these models from various different authoring tools to align correctly to State Plane Coordinates.

I opened the IFC file created in Revit in Archicad and the Survey Point comes in but it's not the same as one I just exported.

Then when I take the model(s) to Navisworks all the models created in Revit and based on the grid system that I sent to them import in the exact location except for mine which is created in Archicad based on that imported Survey Point.

The thing I don't want to do is have to transform the model to get it in the correct location I would rather have the model that I am creating reference this imported location.

Has anyone had to work with Revit and Navis works with a Archicad file? I'm trying to get all of our consultants to use IFC files for coordination but it seems the only model that is not coming in the correct location is the one created by Archicad.

Any help on this would be great.
Basepoints.JPG