Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

no google for Mac?

Anonymous
Not applicable
so if i understand this, there is no google 3D warehouse connectivity for AC mac users. why? pc users have access to thousands of models be we lowly mac users don't? or is there a way that we can access it without the plug-in?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I grab the stuff in SketchUp and save as 3DS but this requires the pro version of SketchUp. This also has the advantage that I can edit and set up the thing just the way I want it.

AFAIK the plug in is not available for Mac. I do hope this changes soon though. ArchiCAD will be at a growing disadvantage as more content gets released for Revit. Having direct access to the warehouse would help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah, they don't really tell you this when they are trying to sell you ArchiCad.

The whole connection towards the Google tools (3D warehouse, Google Earth) is not supported on Mac. Graphisoft claims it due to Google's fault... whatever.

I solve this by having the same Archicad version installed on my virtual PC. I need to have a virtual PC to run minor professional softwares (bound to the Italian market), so it's not a problem for me to have a pc-based Archicad to use when I need to pick some stuff from the 3d warehouse.

Exporting from ArchiCad into Google Earth is a different thing. I tried a few times (installing GE 5.0, the last version that I know to work with ArchiCad), but I never managed to. Probably, I never spent enough time on it.

Can you by any chance install a virtual pc, so to run ArchiCad on it when you need to download free models?
Anonymous
Not applicable
i don't really know what virtual machine is. i downloaded another app that requires virtual machine, and they provided a link to the supposed download page, but i couldn't find it. maybe i'm missing something, but i just tried again to find VM and all i can find is Virtual PC from microsoft. is that the same thing? it feels silly to buy this from microsoft, is't there a mac native version of the same thing?
wb
Anonymous
Not applicable
wildernessbob wrote:
i don't really know what virtual machine is.

A virtual machine is essentially another operating system running as an application. This can mean different things depending on the circumstances but here we are generally referring to running Windows on a Mac. You can create these virtual machines with either Parallels or VMware Fusion. Either of them costs about $80 as I recall. I have both but have been using Parallels lately. Performance and stability are good.

You will also need to buy a full license of Windows to install. I have found that the OEM copies that you can buy from PC builders supply houses work just fine and cost about half the price. The only functional difference that I've found is that 32 and 64 bit are separate packages whereas the retail versions of Windows 7 Professional includes both.

One thing I LOVE about VMs is that the data/system install is stored as a virtual disk file on your hard drive. This can be backed up like any other file so if there are any problems you can just replace the troublesome file with a good backup. It's also a great way to test beta software or anything you think might cause problems. You can run them in a copy and then just toss it when you are done. In fact just this morning Windows Explorer was giving me some error on launch so rather than waste time trying to fix it I just replaced the VM.

One other thing is that if you are running simultaneous ArchiCADs in Mac and a Windows VM you will have to trade off access to the hardware key (unless you have two). This doesn't seem to cause any problems but the ArchiCAD that doesn't have the key will put up a dialog about it until it gets it back.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i see. this sounds like more than i care to get involved with a this point, and i don't really think it's worth another $2000 just to gain access to 3D warehouse. i'll make do until Graphisoft feels fit to include Mac.
WB
Anonymous
Not applicable
wildernessbob wrote:
...i don't really think it's worth another $2000 just to gain access to 3D warehouse.
Where do you come up with $2000? You can buy a whole Windows (physical) computer for that. Setting up the VM is $80 for the software and about $150 for the OS. It may not be worth it just for the Google add ons but there are lots of other things that come in handy such as the free DWG and DWF viewers from Autodesk.

Anyway, I agree that GS needs to stop making excuses and just get it to work on the Mac.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha! sorry, that's what you get for multitasking. i thought you meant a licence for AC windows version. yes i suppose that is very reasonable for access to DWG details etc. i'm continually frustrated with windows only detail cd's etc.
wb