Grasshopper — Archicad Live Connection

Emoke Csikos
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
GiovanaBenvenuto_1-1674494413704.png

Grasshopper is a visual programming language and environment that runs within the Rhinoceros 3D for creating Parametric Designs. To ensure the interoperability between the software and have a smooth workflow, Archicad has the toolset: "Grasshopper - Archicad Live Connection". 

Do you want to know more about Algorithmic Design? Check this article: Rhino – Grasshopper – Archicad Toolset.

Generate and manipulate BIM elements in Archicad directly from Grasshopper

This tool enables Rhino/Grasshopper and Archicad to communicate directly in order to create and manipulate a BIM model in full or in parts through Grasshopper’s visual scripting interface. Designers whose work is currently based on either Rhino/Grasshopper or Archicad can leverage its functionality to their advantage. The live, associative and bi-directional nature of the connection enables users to build versatile workflows and utilize the connection in multiple scenarios — using both Apple macOS and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
In projects where the design is primarily determined by using the Rhino-Grasshopper toolset, users can apply the GH-AC Connection to convert the design into a full BIM model and still retain some of the algorithmic editing capabilities. In other cases, Rhino/Grasshopper (or other Rhino plug-ins) can be used to complement an existing BIM project with algorithmic functions or a freeform modeling environment at any stage of the design process. In these situations, the framework or reference geometry for the part designed in Grasshopper can be taken directly from Archicad itself.

Grasshopper-Archicad Live Connection V2.0

The latest update of Graphisoft’s Grasshopper-Archicad live connection opens a new level of intelligent workflows between the two design environments (algorithmic design and BIM).

With the brand new “Deconstruct” function, users can now use their BIM models as the backbone of their design, adding algorithmic design logic using Grasshopper. This allows designers to maintain the basic design logic in BIM (such as the base geometry of the building) and extend that with intelligent design details that follow changes in the core design.

A simple example is demonstrated in the video below, where building survey data about the built environment is being used to re-create the building information model of an urban environment after a recent earthquake in Italy.

Urban Deconstruction: from GIS terrain data to BIM master plan

Simple Deconstruction: from Conceptual volumes to BIM project

Grasshopper — Archicad Live Connection Training Videos

Part One of the “Grasshopper – Archicad Live Connection” training video series is available on our YouTube channel. Watch these introductory videos to learn how to design Archicad Elements using the Live connection tool. Each video focuses on a different Archicad Element and how it can be created and controlled using the appropriate Grasshopper components.

wp-content_uploads_2020_05_banner-rhino-grasshopper-2019.png

See Archicad, Rhino, and Grasshopper in Action

To see the real-time, bi-directional workflows between Archicad, Rhino, and Grasshopper in action, watch these videos presenting different real-life workflow scenarios!

Creating a Free-form Shading Device
This video clip presents how to create a free-form shading device for a multi-story building using Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, and Archicad.

Creating a Parametric Tower
This workflow video presents how to create a parametric tower using Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, and Archicad.

Creating a Triangulated Surface with the Morph Tool in Archicad
This workflow video presents how to create a free-form surface in Rhinoceros, which will subsequently be transformed into an Archicad Morph element by using Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, and Archicad.

Creating a Parametric Fence
This video clip presents how to create a parametric fence using Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, and Archicad.

Creating Algorithmic Solar Panels
This video clip presents how to create algorithmic solar panels using Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, and Archicad.

Download Grasshopper - Archicad Live Connection

Comments
conscious247
Contributor

Hello,

I am using:

Archicad 24 6004 INT FULL version,

and

Grasshopper-Archicad Live Connection 2.3

with

Rhino 7 (Version 7 (7.11.21293.09002, 2021-10-20))

When attempting to 'set' an object by clicking the 'set' object in Archicad button (from the dropdown menu in Grasshopper), the window focus does not automatically switch to the Archicad window, and I cannot complete the 'set object' operation.

Similarly, even if I preselect the objects to be set in Archicad first, I cannot successfully get them linked as values within the corresponding parameter object, even if I right click and select 'set multiple' objects immediately after preselecting them in Archicad.  I am a long time user of both Rhino and grasshopper, and any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

GrasshopperArchicadProblem75Percent.gif

conscious247
Contributor

On a possibly related note,  the grasshopper-Archicad live connection .dmg file contains 6010 in the file name.  The other installation files use this four digit naming convention to denote the corresponding build within a given version (here, Archicad 24 6004 INT).  Is the grasshopper-Archicad live connection .dmg supposed to go with an Archicad 24 6010 build of some sort?

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.10.32 PM.png

Barth
Participant

Hi,

I have the same problem. did you find a solution?

Thank you!

greg_lupo
Booster

Well the same think Rhino 7 (7.16.22067.13002) and Archicad 25 (4013). Exactly the same problem. Any ideas?. Now I tried it with super fresh Mac book pro with Macosx 12.2.1.

I am experiencing the same problem in an M1 Max Macbook Pro. Any update from Graphisoft? It seems that they have absolutely not interested in making the Archicad Grasshopper Connections stable and an usable product. Seems to be always in a Beta State.

conscious247
Contributor

Hello all,

For those that have been attempting to make the rhino 7 connection with grasshopper using Archicad 24, I found this link below.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Let-s-get-started/Additional-Improvements-in-Archicad-25/ta-p/33... 

"8. Support for Rhino 6 and 7

Archicad 25 offers support for both Rhino 6 and 7. Previously in Archicad 24, Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 were supported." 

Josh Verran
Expert

I have started using Grasshopper, and although I've only scraped the surface, amazed at the possibilities.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

An interesting new development is a free Grasshopper plugin called tAPIr that gives access to Archicad API commands from within Grasshopper, extending the possibilities of what you can achieve with the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection:

https://www.archicad-api.com/

Still looking?

Browse more articles

Back to articles

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!