Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

1/4 round plaster and drywall edges?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wondering if there is an easy way to show finish edges as 1/4 round.

In the example below I changed the furred wall elements above and below the
bathroom mirror to morphs and then rounded the horizontal edges, but can't get the morph arch edge to round. Then there is the question of rounding all the vertical edges and then what about horizontal soffit or ceiling edges. Can't morph the whole building, right? I suppose I could morph ceilings made of slabs, but it's probably going to be too much work to 1/4 round these thru- out and then there's the question of putting a 3/4" round on a 1/2" or 5/8" thick piece of drywall....

I think there should be a way to globally round exterior and interior vertical wall edges (finish skins) both globally and individually easily and if not, for me, it's not worth doing at all. I know we can round slab edges, but it's not much use if we can't be consistent with the vertical wall edges as well.

Without an easy way to consistently and accurately show these I would handle it in a general note and keep all edges in the model as 90 degrees.

Thanks for any insight on how you are handling this situation.
5 REPLIES 5
rgarand
Booster
The only way I have been able to round the corners of vertical walls and arches is to create an inverted 1/4 round and apply solid element operations on all the areas you want a 1/4 round.

After doing this ONCE within ONE room I decided it wasn't important to see these anymore.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
rgarand,

I was afraid this might be the case. Archicad has come a long way in the last three updates, but we're not quite there yet. Hopefully they will address some of these remaining issues soon. Rounding edges is one thing, but even worse is I have 24 building sections that don't have the skins turning into the window openings the way they do in plan...Ugh!! This needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

GRAPHISOFT? Are you there? Is this being worked on?

Thanks

rgarand wrote:
The only way I have been able to round the corners of vertical walls and arches is to create an inverted 1/4 round and apply solid element operations on all the areas you want a 1/4 round.

After doing this ONCE within ONE room I decided it wasn't important to see these anymore.
rgarand
Booster
Since the morph tool is still quite new I am sure Graphisoft is working on this. I wish there was an option to apply this technique WITHOUT turning the object into a MORPH. The last thing I am going to do is turn all my walls into morphs to bullnose the corners.

As for the walls in section, check your Wall Surfaces to make sure they all have the correct material.
Robert J. Garand
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
See screenshot below.
The drywall and the plaster should turn into the window frame.
The show in 3d doesn't work either

rgarand wrote:
Since the morph tool is still quite new I am sure Graphisoft is working on this. I wish there was an option to apply this technique WITHOUT turning the object into a MORPH. The last thing I am going to do is turn all my walls into morphs to bullnose the corners.

As for the walls in section, check your Wall Surfaces to make sure they all have the correct material.

++ kitchen window sec.jpg
rgarand
Booster
Ahh, yes. I see what you are talking about now. This is something graphisoft should work on for sure.
Robert J. Garand