Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

1010 Sect/Elev lines......

Rod Jurich
Contributor
Greetings All,
Having bypassed previous hotfix decided to jump in the deep end with 1010. So far so good. Well that is........

Can anyone place a segmented section. I can only place a section line across the part of building I want, then click ok.

Then I have to select and edit to form a stepped section line.

Works prefectly in 9, or have I missed something in 10??

(Bug report ID Mac_2006-10-28.rep)

Sect Elev.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
That's Archicad 10. You can only place straight sections. You have to edit them after they are placed to job them.
Tom Waltz
Rod Jurich
Contributor
TomWaltz wrote:
That's Archicad 10. You can only place straight sections. You have to edit them after they are placed to job them.
Thank you Tom, appreciate speedy reply.

And to Those in Hungary ........ How about getting a reality check!!!

To quote young Ben "2 steps > and 5 steps<". Just bizarre

This is just another small nail in your very frail coffin.
Rod Jurich
TomWaltz
Participant
GS did have a neat idea that most sections are straight (from some survey they took) and were trying to save steps. Personally, I thought the "straight" verses "segmented" should have been a construction method that you could choose between, like "single lines" versus "running lines", but they did not agree.
Tom Waltz
Thomas Holm
Booster
Tom, I thinkn GS are right. AC10's method works better for most, especially newcomers, than AC9's. Still, I think your method is better. Give the user a choice!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
__archiben
Booster
Rod wrote:
To quote young Ben "2 steps > and 5 steps<". Just bizarre
uh. actually this is one of the developments that i was 100% behind. most newly created sect/elevations are simple, single plane cuts. having to make all those additional clicks for a simple section seemed wrong. it's only after placing a section line that most of the stepping editing is done anyway . . .

sorry rod. can we call that a status quo: no steps forward or back?

ultimately, a 'construction method' for initally placing them would be the '1 step forward' option . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Rod wrote:
This wrote:
OMG Rod, your starting to put adalbert to shame
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Rod Jurich
Contributor
TomWaltz wrote:
GS did have a neat idea that most sections are straight (from some survey they took)

Don't remember being asked.
TomWaltz wrote:
and were trying to save steps.
Just nonsense. My opinion of course.
TomWaltz wrote:
Personally, I thought the "straight" verses "segmented" should have been a construction method that you could choose between, like "single lines" versus "running lines", but they did not agree.
This makes more sense, again Tom thanks.
~/archiben wrote:
/...... having to make all those additional clicks for a simple section seemed wrong.
Why? Most unlike your usual pragmatic comments Ben. You have a choice to straight line it OR segment it. It's just childish to say it might be easier for newbies (sorry Thomas )
~/archiben wrote:
it's only after placing a section line that most of the stepping editing is done anyway . . .
In setting up room elevations I regularly use segmented section/elev lines.
Now it becomes a muliti step operation.
~/archiben wrote:
sorry rod. can we call that a status quo: no steps forward or back?
I will beg to differ. The b..... tool wasn't broken so why change something that just adds more steps to achieve.
The tool is most certainly not complex and it's just another small work around I have to endure.
Ben wrote:
OMG Rod, your starting to put adalbert to shame
Careful Ben, you might owe Adalbert an apology

At first reading replies I thought ah just let it go...... This is what most are inclined to think, but hell GS mess with something that I've used regularly and lessen it's functionallity and at the same time have given us just 80% functionality in other tools. Crazy!!

With Mac now able to run widows apps it could be time as Miguel said to look at alternate software.

Bottom line for me, that is, it's just another very irritating aspect of 10. With some very clever stuff, it's like someone taking you to the sweet shop only to find it closed 5 mins ago!!
Rod Jurich
Djordje
Ace
Rod,
Rod wrote:
And to Those in Hungary ........ How about getting a reality check!!!
The reality is that 99% percent of Archicad users did NOT know that you can place a staggered section line directly ... and many other BASIC things. Secrets my *** - no documentation and total absence of training is more like it.

Now you can be:

- proud to be in the elite
- frustrated that learning to use what you have is not a human habit

I am in the second group, although I could be in the first one ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
Rod wrote:
Now it becomes a muliti step operation.
i rarely use stepped sect/elev lines, so creating a straight one was always a multi-step operation for me: your pleasure, my pain i guess? and now that's just been flipped on its head. sorry.

bottom line: it's as broad as it's long. hence no advantage or disadvantage overall. the only real solution would be a 'construction' method as tom mentioned. something that i seem to recall GS was made aware of at the time, but there was no time to implement it . . . let's see what they do next . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup