Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3 Curved lines 1 Straight

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, i kept trying to do this roof but without succes. The top and lateral sides are curves, but the bottom is straight. I don't know how to do it.
If anyone knows, please give an idea.

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10
andrewzarb
Booster
I'm not sure I understand the geometry you're describing. Can you provide a cross section and plan of what the product would be?
Anonymous
Not applicable
andrewzarb wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the geometry you're describing. Can you provide a cross section and plan of what the product would be?
Yes of course. I attach an image with the explanation.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
drexdis:

I think you should try the Morph Tool, the Shell Tool would be another option.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
drexdis:

I think you should try the Morph Tool, the Shell Tool would be another option.

David
Hi David,

I like the shell tool more than morph. Can you tell me how it's done?

Thanks
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
drexdis:

I am not sure that the Shell Tool can handle that type of form (double curve flattening to straight on one edge). I think the Morph Tool is easiest:
1. Draw rectangle in plan
2. Elevate 2 ridge points
3. Curve ridge and 2 side edges
4. Push/Pull top surfaces to desired depth.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
drexdis:

I am not sure that the Shell Tool can handle that type of form (double curve flattening to straight on one edge). I think the Morph Tool is easiest:
1. Draw rectangle in plan
2. Elevate 2 ridge points
3. Curve ridge and 2 side edges
4. Push/Pull top surfaces to desired depth.

David
David,

I tried what you said, but can't curve the rectangle in Z axis (up). It only curves on the rectangle direction left or right (like when you curve with the roof tool).
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
drexdis:

Yes, this can be hard to do in the 3D Window (the arcs tend to go in the X or Y, rather than Z direction), I was better able to do this in Section, using a Limited Depth to just show the edge to be edited. You may need to delete the faces once the perimeter is established, then use the Cover with Faces command to apply the correct surface. It is also possible to draw the curved perimeter directly in the 3D Window using the Polygonal Geometry method, I was able to change between Axon and Elevation modes while drawing the perimeter to get the arcs in the Z direction.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

I have finally done what you said and it worked.
Remains two questions:

1. Is it possible that the curve of the shape to have more smooth transition ( in my case the curve i guess it is made of ~6 straight lines), is it possible to increase this?

2. How do i give thickness to this? It is still just a face. Push pull doesn't show.

Thank you
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
drexdis wrote:
1. Is it possible that the curve of the shape to have more smooth transition ( in my case the curve i guess it is made of ~6 straight lines), is it possible to increase this?
In 3D, select the face and use the Modify Segmentation... command.
In Section, I think this is a limitation of how ArchiCAD represents curves.
drexdis wrote:
2. How do i give thickness to this? It is still just a face. Push pull doesn't show.
Yes, once curved I could not get Push/Pull, so Drag a Copy the Morph face to create the lower surface, then add Morphs for the 4 sides, then Union or Group. I could not get a Solid Morph from this, but maybe with more work it is possible.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture