BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D CUTTING PLANE WINDOW

Anonymous
Not applicable
I KNOW THIS IS A STUPID CUESTION, BUT HOW I CAN ZOOM IN OR ZOOM OUT THE PROJECT IN THE 3D CUTTING PLANE WINDOW
10 REPLIES 10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
AFAIK the extents of the zoom is based on all of your 3D elements on the floor plan, whether they are hidden or not.

However if you marquee or select elements, the zoom will be based on that. You will have to Show Selection/Marquee in 3D first.

Oh and you can stretch the 3D Cutting Planes dialog too.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tussyswat wrote:
I KNOW THIS IS A STUPID CUESTION, BUT HOW I CAN ZOOM IN OR ZOOM OUT THE PROJECT IN THE 3D CUTTING PLANE WINDOW
Try the scroll button on your mouse?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a stupid question. The stupid thing is that we have had the same interface for that function since version 3.43.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of us also reassign the scroll button on our mouses (meese? -lol!) -Ahh.. MICE!) to do something else.

However, mine isn't and the scroll in/out doesn't work for me.
I'm trying the marque but I sure wish I could ASSIGN a KEY for this (say, "+"/"-"?)....

Anonymous
Not applicable
JP-Design wrote:
Some of us also reassign the scroll button on our mouses (meese? -lol!) -Ahh.. MICE!) to do something else.

However, mine isn't and the scroll in/out doesn't work for me.
I'm trying the marque but I sure wish I could ASSIGN a KEY for this (say, "+"/"-"?)....
The scroll wheel does not work in the cut plane window full stop, so I would be amazed if it did work for you! The advise about using the marquee to select a reasonable area, and stretching the window is still the best (only?) way to do it.

Did you know you can lock the cursor to an exact level before drawing your cutplane by clicking on the 'Z' button, and typing in a height up (or down) from 0.000. The same applies for the other axies.

A 'new' feature in AC12 is you can actually resize the individual windows by dragging the separating bars inbetween. This will help you make the most important window the largest for clearer viewing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Did you know you can lock the cursor to an exact level before drawing your cutplane by clicking on the 'Z' button, and typing in a height up (or down) from 0.000. The same applies for the other axies....
Until now, no, I didn't.
Therefore I keep on visiting this forum...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed the window resize on accident as I tried to get it to operate, from habit, like 3dsmax. LOL!

I didn't know about the Z-axis- but I suspected. Cool!!!!

Thanks for the tip!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still am not able to get it to show the model within the windows any larger.
I can select a smaller part to display in the 3d window, but when I go in to adjust the cutting plane, from scratch or otherwise, all that has changed, even with resizing the window and letting it refresh (which is very slow, even on a GF 7950 GTX and 4gb ddr-667) is that there is LESS of the model/structure shown- but it still is JUST as small.

Is there a way to ZOOM IN on the selected area- some setting I can change or a key I can bind. Does anyone know? Being stuck out so far away from the areas I need to view up close, in the cutting plane window, isn't very effective.

I suspect it MIGHT be drawing from the extents of something in my 2d file- correct? I'll experiment today with a small building and see if that changes anything about this problem and post if it does....

thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that kind of worked...

I had some tiny object left over from a xref somewhere in the template (thank heavens that is cleaned up!)... but the issue still remains- the cutting plane window seems to have no method for zooming in- Marquee selection only dictates how MUCH gets rendered, but does not zoom those "shown" areas in any closer in the cutting plane window.

I did find that after selecting the first point in a cutting plane, holding down the shift key locks that x-y-z reference- so straight cutting planes can be made. *Whew*

By the way, does anyone know, is this stuff covered in a tutorial I simply missed?????
Learn and get certified!