BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Logo.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to take another file, not sure what type, but to bring it into ArchiCAD, and extrude it to make it 3D. I'm asking cause the building we're designing has a huge sign on the exterior, and it needs to be 3-dimensional for the model. Is there a way to do this, and if so, what type of logo file might I need, and how to do it. Thanks. 😃
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have done it somewhat successful by importing a sketchup model of the sign. I'm not sure how others do it.
Eduardo Rolon
Please read page 148 for Trace Reference and
page 319 for object making in

ArchiCAD 12 Reference Guide

import files might be;
dwg, dxf, pdf, jpeg, eps, tiff
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
The fastest way is to paste the image of the logo into a complex profile window, trace a fill or different fills for different colors over it, then draw it as a wall, extruding outward from the building surface.
Dwight Atkinson
fessel28 wrote:
Is there a way to take another file, not sure what type, but to bring it into ArchiCAD, and extrude it to make it 3D. I'm asking cause the building we're designing has a huge sign on the exterior, and it needs to be 3-dimensional for the model. Is there a way to do this, and if so, what type of logo file might I need, and how to do it. Thanks. 😃
Can you show us what you want to make 3D ?

Perhaps all you need is 3D text ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
The complex profile method will only allow you to have one material on the face of the sign
Eduardo Rolon
HAL9000 wrote:
The complex profile method will only allow you to have one material on the face of the sign
Not true, for each material you need a new fill, eg 5 materials = 5 fills.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are only allowed to designate the side material of the complex profile which would be the side of the sign not the face
Eduardo Rolon
OOPs, true

5 materials = 5 complex profiles

My bad
posting while hungry not a good idea.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
fessel28 wrote:
If the sign is fairly complex and you need different materials and depths doing it from slabs (or combinations of slabs & complex profiles) in the plan window and then looking at it from the top in 3d saving it as an object is probably the way to go. I did this for a laser cut Caterpillar logo on a recent project by tracing a pdf of technical illustration they provided. A caution though. On this object when I tried to get the cut outs inside the cab and treads I kept getting errors because of the openings being so small, ArchiCAD kept thinking they intersected themselves giving error messages. So I just used this on the model and exported the full detail as a dwg which is what the laser cutter needed anyway.
Cat Logo.png
Learn and get certified!