BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D shading to 2D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Working in ArchiCad 10 I created a 3D view in the shading mode. I marquee the 3D view, copy and paste the view onto the 2D window. For some unknown reason the fills of the 3D view are always empty.

I have all the preferences on the "3D windows setting" correct. I've been doing this for years without a problem. The 3D image always maintained the shadows and transperancy when copied onto the the 2D window. Now the fills translate empty.

Very frustrating. Is there a preference I'm not aware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
6 REPLIES 6
__archiben
Booster
JAB wrote:
Very frustrating. Is there a preference I'm not aware of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
MVO's?

are your model view options set to hide one or all of the various fill types?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ben's probably nailed it. Depending on your 3D Window settings and the way you copied the content, copied shadows can come through to the floor plan as drafting fills with no contours. So if your MVOC is set to Draftings Fills: Contours Only, the will appear to disappear.

But also be sure that when you are copying your marquee from the 3D window, you have the Construction Elements and Shadows set to show their Polygons (and edges if you want them, but this depends on how you've set your contours in the 3D window settings), under the 'Elements to Copy' section of the Copy... dialog. Maybe it was set to None or Edges Only, and you missed it?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben and Link for your prompt reply,

I opened the Model View Option under custom, I checked the box for "Show Cover Fill Contours Only" and we're back in business. I've using ArchiCad for 14 years and didn't know that dialogue box existed.

Thanks again,

JAB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
JAB wrote:
Thanks Ben and Link for your prompt reply,

I opened the Model View Option under custom, I checked the box for "Show Cover Fill Contours Only" and we're back in business. I've using ArchiCad for 14 years and didn't know that dialogue box existed.

Thanks again,

JAB
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Cover Fills exist as such only since AC9.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
__archiben
Booster
JAB wrote:
I opened the Model View Option under custom, I checked the box for "Show Cover Fill Contours Only"
you unchecked the box, right? if you had checked it, the fills would still be empty . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And are you sure it was the cover fills - not the drafting fills?

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!