Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D surfaces not aligning

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi ARCHICAD Wizards,

I am having immense trouble trying to align 3D textures on different objects. In this particular example I have a vertical timber cladding surface. The selected object is a bulkhead element made using the Slab tool. There is a slab above which has the same external surface. You'll see that on the left hand side the timber surfaces are not aligning, but the right hand side it is.

I have tried resetting the origin, reset the texture, flipping the slabs, but nothing seems to work.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I think the problem is exaggerated with your texture because the start and end planks are cut in half but are not exactly the same width.
So when the texture is aligned one way it will be in a slightly different position when rotated 180°.

Barry.
Thanks Barry. I think I got to the bottom of it. I did a bit of photoshopping and painted a big red arrow on this specific JPEG texture then loaded it in and replaced it with the current timber cladding texture I have.

Lo and behold, the arrows are pointing in opposite directions on different walls, which surely would explain why I am having difficulty in aligning this texture.

What determines the direction in which the surfaces are painted on the walls and how can I make them all go the same way? Walls do not seem to be able to "set direction" for 3D surfaces.

EDIT: Nevermind - got it! I just had to reset the texture.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I have had quite a few instances where I'm trying to paint an object with surface and this dialogue box appears. I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find any help on this. Any thoughts?

question 1.png

Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
What determines the direction in which the surfaces are painted on the walls and how can I make them all go the same way? Walls do not seem to be able to "set direction" for 3D surfaces.

EDIT: Nevermind - got it! I just had to reset the texture.
The textures should all be the same direction until you start playing with them.
Reset as you found should put them all back to standard.

You can set the direction for the wall surface.
You just have to click on the front or back wall surface (top and bottom of slab).

Unfortunately the rotate texture is not like rotating an element where you set a rotation base line and then rotate to the angle you want.
With the texture you just click twice (after choosing the surface) to define the angle. Left to right will give you 180° opposite as right to left.
Or you can type in the angle.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
Also, I have had quite a few instances where I'm trying to paint an object with surface and this dialogue box appears. I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find any help on this. Any thoughts?
It is a bit hard to find as there in no index item for 'Paint' or Surface Paint' - you have to know to look for 'Override Surfaces'.

It is just saying that you can TAB key to select all faces or just the one you clicked.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
benjamin_chan wrote:
It is a bit hard to find as there in no index item for 'Paint' or Surface Paint' - you have to know to look for 'Override Surfaces'.

It is just saying that you can TAB key to select all faces or just the one you clicked.

Barry.
Thanks Barry.

I don't seem to have much luck. After I see this little dialogue box pop up, I click to paint it, the new surface appears, but after I move my cursor away, it returns to the original surface.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But then how you deal with this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have a browse through this thread - may help - it involves building the wall & roof out of composites and using the building material strength
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58221&p=274035#p274035
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did and it did not help, therefore, I wrote the comment .