Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3d generation very slow

Kathryn W
Participant
Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me with the speed that my model generates in 3D and section/elevation. I am working on a small file, 11000kb, the model is relatively simple in terms of library parts (ie, no furniture, plants etc that usually take a lot of time to generate). I have used a mesh but it is not complex. It does not seem to make any difference if i try to generate the whole model or marque and area, it still takes a long time when compared to the complexity of the model.
I am beginning to think that it is not the model but something with my computer or how I am using AC15. I am using work environments that I created in 14 and imported. Might this be contributing to the speed issue?
If anyone has any ideas I could try I would really appreciate it!!
Kathryn
Archicad version 19
Windows 10
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Go to Help > Downloads and download the Polycount add-on if you haven't already. Restart AC, open your model, and open the polycount palette (Windows menu) and see how many polygons are in your model (size in MB is irrelevant - only polygons really matter as far as 3D).

Expand the list to see which elements have the most polygons.

Report your machine specifics -processor(s), memory, graphics card model and amount of graphics memory...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Kathryn W
Participant
Thanks Karl.

I installed the Polycount Add -on as directed.

I have attached a copy of the polycount window. There ar 46,381 polygons. Not sure if this is a large or small number? The elements with the most polygons are columns (12,165 polygons. 26.23%) and doors D1 15.gsm (11,698 polygons. 25.22%)

My laptop specifics are:

PROCESSOR: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-2630QM CPU@2.00GHz

MEMORY (RAM): 16.0GB

GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540m
Total available graphics memory = 4095mb

GRAPHICS DRIVER: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Maximum Graphicss Memory = 1696mb

Let me know what you think
Thanks
Kathryn
Polycount.JPG
Kathryn
Archicad version 19
Windows 10
Karl Ottenstein
You're right - that is a tiny model, and your machine specs are excellent. I think you might need to contact GS tech support to have a look at the file? Your WE should have no impact.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB