BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

A Word of Caution on Embedded Parts

Anonymous
Not applicable
This may be obvious, but I just lost about an hour's work of editing an embedded library part due to a kernel panic. While I had saved the part itself (which I do habitually) I had not saved the PLN file so the changes to the part were lost since the embedded library is only saved with the project.

So far I really like the embedded library for IFC import, but I'm going back to my old habit of saving all custom parts direct to the external project library.
4 REPLIES 4
Frank Beister
Advisor
Hello Matthew,
I think most of us ran into this problem. More problematic is, that an external object, opened and saved by command-S is saved without alert into the embedded library. If you don't know, that the destination changed without "save as" command you will loose your changes.
Has to be changed by GS. Not only MHO.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Barry Kelly
F. wrote:
More problematic is, that an external object, opened and saved by command-S is saved without alert into the embedded library.
I haven't had this problem.
I just opened an external library object and simply "saved" it (not "save as") and it saved back to the external library.
This object was part of a loaded library and not an individual object if that makes a difference.
If you load a folder of library parts it becomes an externaly linked library but if you load individual object it automatically becomes embedded.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Frank Beister
Advisor
This object was part of a loaded library and not an individual object if that makes a difference.
Yes, this makes the difference. But it is nevertheless a trap.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Chazz
Enthusiast
I have not had kernel panics but man, AC 14 is pretty darn unstable. Very frequent crashing and memory issues. It has made me really modify my work habits (as Matthew undoubtedly has too).
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Learn and get certified!