Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A project done with AC19

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Very rare that we get attention on Archdaily but here is a pretty nice and complex AC19 project that had it's inauguration a few weeks ago. https://www.archdaily.com/951719/house-of-knowledge-education-center-liljewall
Don't know where to post actual projects on the forum so admin please delete if inappropriate.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
16 REPLIES 16
I found another site covering the same project with more (different? same?) photos and images of the completed project.

https://www.arch2o.com/house-of-knowledge-education-center-liljewall/

As always, ....great project.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's right, it's the same project.

Thank you so much for your kind words about the project. I've had the opportunity to be in charge of the AC-model in this project and it's correct that this is made out of pure geometries, drawn by the architect in a sketch-file with a vision on what to achieve with certain roof geometries and then converted into the active model with all the right parameters that where communicated to the contractor. I've been tuning this model for almost 5 years one step at the time.
The design in the model is made basically from ALOT of triangles to match every single point.
I've drawn every single piece of the geometry of the stair with the stair tool and all the panels and handles with the morph tool, and to say the least, I feel like I am in total control of the morph tool. Triangles are my new best friend, you can achieve any geometry out of trinagles .

The key to a model that is as big as this one is to keep an organized view map when you've had around a total of 70 different employees that has been working in this model over the time of the project.

If you have any questions about any specific part of the house, feel free to ask I will try to answer you as good as I can.
joanlinkan wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind words about the project. I've had the opportunity to be in charge of the AC-model in this project and it's correct that this is made out of pure geometries, drawn by the architect in a sketch-file with a vision on what to achieve with certain roof geometries and then converted into the active model with all the right parameters that where communicated to the contractor. I've been tuning this model for almost 5 years one step at the time.
The design in the model is made basically from ALOT of triangles to match every single point.
I've drawn every single piece of the geometry of the stair with the stair tool and all the panels and handles with the morph tool, and to say the least, I feel like I am in total control of the morph tool. Triangles are my new best friend, you can achieve any geometry out of trinagles .

The key to a model that is as big as this one is to keep an organized view map when you've had around a total of 70 different employees that has been working in this model over the time of the project.

If you have any questions about any specific part of the house, feel free to ask I will try to answer you as good as I can.

Did you have to do much GDL coding to get any of the geometry done or to get some parametric functions into the models you built, or were you just working the "brute" way of building everything as is?

And what's your feeling about that (GDL coding, being able to use it, being able to extend the forms you build with basic tools, if you could)? Especially in a project of this size and scope.

Also, if you don't mind indulging us, did you use or have to use the ArchiCAD-Rhino/Grasshopper bridge and those parametric algorithmic tools and even if you did not, what are you feelings on going that kind of route, if you had to?
(like, for example, do you feel you could have been able to get this done faster than that 5 years with these tools at your disposal at their fullest (including GDL coding) if you had had access to them or were better versed in them?)

It seems like a perfect project built for that kind of workflow and this kind of design.

I feel like the people at Graphisoft should be asking designers an architects like you these sorts of questions to get a better sense of where to head with the development of this software in a more efficient way - but either way, the rest of us can still stand to learn a lot for our own situations.

Thanks in advance
Really, really nice work. Congratulations.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Bricklyne wrote:
joanlinkan wrote:

Did you have to do much GDL coding to get any of the geometry done or to get some parametric functions into the models you built, or were you just working the "brute" way of building everything as is?

And what's your feeling about that (GDL coding, being able to use it, being able to extend the forms you build with basic tools, if you could)? Especially in a project of this size and scope.

Also, if you don't mind indulging us, did you use or have to use the ArchiCAD-Rhino/Grasshopper bridge and those parametric algorithmic tools and even if you did not, what are you feelings on going that kind of route, if you had to?
(like, for example, do you feel you could have been able to get this done faster than that 5 years with these tools at your disposal at their fullest (including GDL coding) if you had had access to them or were better versed in them?)

It seems like a perfect project built for that kind of workflow and this kind of design.

I feel like the people at Graphisoft should be asking designers an architects like you these sorts of questions to get a better sense of where to head with the development of this software in a more efficient way - but either way, the rest of us can still stand to learn a lot for our own situations.

Thanks in advance
I answer this in post #9.

Regarding the route we want to go we want our staff to use their preferred tools. Some might use grasshopper, some might use straight Archicad the brute way like in this project. The GH bridge is focussed mainly on modelling and we that's not a bottleneck for our kind of projects. REAL bottlenecks are crappy door/window/stair/zone/schedule etc.... We're a large company and the most important thing is to get the job done within the normal distribution curve thus the elements we put in the model must work for the normal project. GS has their plans somewhere else...don't know where. I'd like to know more about these illusive japanese companies...maybe they have influence...more likely Nemetschek trying to bring their diverse portfolio together.
However we put a lot of R&D into Rhino/GH/Python.
AC 25 SWE Full

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Kunskapshuset nominated for Educational building of the year at ArchDaily!

https://boty.archdaily.com/us/2021/candidates/137954/house-of-knowledge-education-center-slash-lilje...
AC 25 SWE Full

jl_lt
Ace
joanlinkan wrote:

Hi Mr. Joanlinkan. Congrats again on the great work. I have some questions (well, many!). here we go:

-As a big office, do you follow a procedure in which, once a desicion is made its set and gets modelled, or even in nordic countries do you find yourselves in situations where you are already in the construction documents phase and still are at risk of getting big changes in the project? Did something like this happenned during this project? if so, did Archicad helped you handling it?

-Did the modelling process started right away in Archicad, or was it conceptualized previously in sketchup or Rhino?

-How would you feel if instead of Archicad, you had to model this in Revit?

-How many construction documents (layouts) you handled for this project?

-I see the building has some sloped slabs. Did you use split levels or just a general set of main levels with the intermediate levels set in between?

-How much 2d cad had to be used?

-What was the LOD requested by the client?

-Did you import the structural elements modeled by third parties as a module or did you modelled the structural elements yourself based on information provided by third parties?

-Is it a single model or is it broken down in parts? if its broken down in parts what was the strategy for managing them?

-What was the final file size?

thanks for your time!