Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A sloped roof with a flat bottom?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been using AC for years and it drives me crazy that you can't use the roof tool to create a single-plane roof with, let's say 7-degree slope while having a flat side underneath. I wan't this oftentimes when I work with residential projects and have a row of balconies. Above the top balcony I just want a simple sloped roof with a flat bottom.

I can't seem to get the roof tool to do this. Can it be done with som add-on like roof-wizard?
I've been thinking I could use some kind of object but I also wan't the "roof" to be shown on it's home story and all stories above. This is a setting (edit custom) within the roof-tool but objects either have the option to show on all stories or just home+one above or below.

I would also like to be able to apply 3 different surfaces to the top, bottom and the sides and of course for 2D-view you should be able to apply a fill type.

Does anyone know of or can anyone kindly create something like this?
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Use a mesh? Though you would have to convert your gradient to ΔZ; L.atanθ

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could use a mesh but it would be better with a roof/object because if you are working in a big residential project with 25+ of these roofs it's a pain to adjust the angle/thickness of the roof later on.
I'm not sure what you mean by " ΔZ; L.atanθ " because I don't really know GDL that well.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Fair enough... changing pitch with a mesh requires recalculating each one...

That last bit is basic trigonometry. Using a mesh you would need to know the change in height from one side to the other, ΔZ. To do that for a given pitch, you would multiply the length of the roof, L, by the inverse tan, atan, of the pitch, θ.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Wy not using a profile in a wall or a truss? Then, the profile-modificators should work too, so that you easy could adjust the sloping. What you also could do in a profile: construct all details - even the gutter which would also follow the wall/truss.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is an article about this topic, which I wrote for GRAPHISOFT a long while ago but it still applies:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25582/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27