Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

A24: How to show Top Layer only in layouts

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know that you can choose to bring layers to front or send them to back in display order, but are you able to only show top layers? I am doing a reflected ceiling plan but the purlins show above my ceiling tiles making it difficult to see the individual lines of the tiles. For background my project has rooms with and without panels depending on what the room is used for ( Offices have panels while hallways and break-rooms don't).
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
You can't move layers forwards and backwards with display order.
You can only move elements.

If you don't want to see the purlins can't you just turn the layer off?

You can create as many layer combinations as you need and then you can save multiple views of the plan, each using a different layer combination.
So you will end up with multiple plan views, each one showing exactly what you want.

The settings for each view also controls the Model View Option combination that is used as well (in addition to pen set, scale, graphic override, etc.).
So if you are using the reverse ceiling options in MVO, you can control that at well in each view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can't move layers forwards and backwards with display order.
You can only move elements.

If you don't want to see the purlins can't you just turn the layer off?

You can create as many layer combinations as you need and then you can save multiple views of the plan, each using a different layer combination.
So you will end up with multiple plan views, each one showing exactly what you want.

The settings for each view also controls the Model View Option combination that is used as well (in addition to pen set, scale, graphic override, etc.).
So if you are using the reverse ceiling options in MVO, you can control that at well in each view.

Barry.
I need to have the purlins shown but I don't want them to appear where the ceiling tiles are. Essential it would be as if the ceiling tiles are above the purlins and covering them even though that is not the case build wise.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Are the tiles done with a coverfill? Do they have an opaque background fill?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
PBI wrote:
I need to have the purlins shown but I don't want them to appear where the ceiling tiles are. Essential it would be as if the ceiling tiles are above the purlins and covering them even though that is not the case build wise.

As Ling mentioned, add a solid white cover fill to the ceiling slabs.
Then you can adjust the display order in Archicad so the slabs hide the purlins above.

This will of course affect all plan views where you see the purlins and the ceiling slabs.
If that is not desired, then add some solid white fills that can be in a layer that only shows on your ceiling layout.

Or you could do it with 2 layouts placed on top of each other.
One showing just the purlins and the other showing everything except the purlins that you place on top.
So long as the ceilings have a solid fill this should work.
You may have to create a couple of new layer combinations specifically for the views that you place on the layouts.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11