BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 14 incredibly slow cut/copy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if this has already been discussed... Tried to search but couldn't seem to come up with a specific enough search term...

We are finding AC 14 to have incredibly slow cut/copy times... I've had 13 open at the same time an know that 13 is zippy whereas 14 can take a very long time to copy even a label or text block not to mention something more complex... Drag a copy is still zippy.... And when it is finally cut or copied paste is fine....

thoughts?
19 REPLIES 19
Karl Ottenstein
anyari wrote:
Here is a workaround we found:
- Open File > Save as dialog, and choose Archive project (PLA)
- Options > uncheck "include linked textures" checkbox > click OK
- Cancel the dialog
Warning: If someone uses this workaround should be careful when he/she wants to save the file as PLA as it affects the PLA save settings evidently: the textures will not be saved in the output PLA file.
Thanks, Attila!

That is the most surprising workaround... but it works!! 🙂

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DVH
Participant
I have noticed this Copy function takes a minimum of 30 seconds and as long as a minute in AC14 build 3477. The Paste function is quick....no delay.
And like others here, there is no time delay at all in AC 13 and AC12.
This copy time delay has been going on for the past few weeks... It does not affect copy of text....

I have not tried GS work around as of yet, But it is interesting that the linked textures could be a problem as I have also had to wait a minute or longer at times for the Materials palatte to open as well, and it may be longer depending on what material I have it opening to.

Dwayne Van Horn
Dwayne Van Horn - Architect & AC User Since 1994
AC_27 MacBook Pro M3 Max, OSX 14.3
Levin Brown Architects, 2016- Present
DVH
Participant
Karl wrote:
anyari wrote:
- Cancel the dialog
Warning: If someone uses this workaround should be careful when he/she wants to save the file as PLA as it affects the PLA save settings evidently: the textures will not be saved in the output PLA file.
Thanks, Attila!

Cheers,
Karl

Karl,
I will second that... it Works, I just tried the work around that GS noted and worked on two different projects, bringing weeks of suffering to a swift end.
Dwayne Van Horn - Architect & AC User Since 1994
AC_27 MacBook Pro M3 Max, OSX 14.3
Levin Brown Architects, 2016- Present
Anonymous
Not applicable
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 am Post subject: Re: AC 14 incredibly slow cut/copy
Thanks for reporting, Karl!

Unfortunately this problem appeared in build 3477. It is already in the bug database, we are investigating the issue.
- Cancel the dialog
I have the same issue as above but the solution did not work for me. For some reason, our custom office library creates missing textures not referenced anywhere in the attributes. So I can't seem to get rid of them. And even when I remove the library altogether, the textures remain as missing.

Also the delays are happening when changing stories or even trimming/ splitting any walls/slabs, etc. as well...

Any further suggestions appreciated. Especially on locating and isolating the problem objects and removing them from the library.

thanks
e

Anonymous
Not applicable
DVH wrote:
Karl wrote:
anyari wrote:

- Cancel the dialog

Thanks, Attila!

Cheers,
Karl

Karl,
I will second that... it Works, I just tried the work around that GS noted and worked on two different projects, bringing weeks of suffering to a swift end.

This also worked for me. But it's a really annoying bug. Thanks for the workaround.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I´m having the same problem too. It takes forever to copy/paste a single element. If this were not enough, after upgrading to 10.6.7 navigating in the 3D window is almost impossible.

regards,

Sergio
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have 14 licensed users all complaining about this. it's a shjame it wasn't addressed in the release on Tuesday!

I have noticed that for the duration of the 'hang' on copy, there is a network activity consuming all of the available bandwidth. As soon as the transfer finishes, so does the hang.

THe work around only allows us to confirm that we are affected by the issue, but it is not a viable workaround for us in normal operations.
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
anyari wrote:
- Cancel the dialog
Thanks, Attila!

The above steps still work with the latest build to make copying instantaneous. neilm and Sergio - have you tried this? It has no affect on your project, just somehow fixes the copy delay/beachball issue.

I'll re-report this issue to GS. For me, it was fixed in the hotfix before last, but in the current hotfix it is back ... so it seems to be what they call a 'regression bug'...

At least there is a workaround.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
... It has no affect on your project, ...
Cheers,
Karl

Having noticed this also I was happy to find a solution here. The previous "WARNING" was unsettling, but Karl "the Man", say it will not harm anything, so it sounds like a plan.

We will see if it helps the PC users and also if it does anything for the very long autosave times and the "Autosave in 04 sec" hangs that often occur.

P.S. - Another note for me is that I often cannot copy text from within a text box.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:"P.S. - Another note for me is that I often cannot copy text from within a text box."
Thanks Jay, I had thought it might have been just me, so unfortunately I'm
sorry to say, now at least I know it's not just here.

Annoyance level? HIGH
lec
Learn and get certified!