BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 16 Quick selection tool in 3d window

Anonymous
Not applicable
Working in 16,

Quick Selection tool (magnet icon) doesn't work in 3d window like version 15, 14, 13, 12,...

Space bar activates it in 2d.

What am I missing?

Clicking on a surface in 3d to select an object, rather than just the edge or node. How is it done in 16?

Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
ryancjw
Newcomer
Having the same problem, used to be able to space/shift to select in 3D.
love to know how to do in 16.
Ryan Wu
Desktop: DELL Vostro 460, Intel i7-2600 8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD6670
Windows 7 Professional 64 SP1
Laptop: ASUS 56V, Intel i7 3610QM 8GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You can change between the normal (dark arrow) or the subelement (white arrow) selection method for the Arrow tool in ArchiCAD 16.
Read more: http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac16_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

Please check your settings, probably it is the source of the problem.
Katalin Takacs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, and what you posted is interesting, but applies to morphs which I'm not using (yet).

This is what I can't seem to get to work:
"Surface snap" in 3d.

http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac16_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

Edges yes. Corners yes. Surfaces no. Not in 3d window. Magnet is greyed out.

Another suggestion?
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Nathan,

If you are using an imported Work Environment that was created in a previous version try switching to the Standard Profile 16. Options / Work Environment / Work Environment / Work Environment Profiles. Does the quick selection option return to normal? If so then you should re-build your work environment for 16.

If not then do a New & Reset All. Go to File / New and hold the alt key and you will see that the New file command changes to read "New & Reset All". This will open a new blank file and clear out some preferences that may have gotten out of whack. Then re-open one of your projects and see if the trouble is gone.

If not then perform a full Preferences Cleaning to clear out a larger segment of cache files that may be corrupted somewhere: http://archicadwiki.com/PreferencesCleaning

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with any AC15 project I import into AC16. The selection magnet in the 3D window is greyed out and cannot be activated. Once you select an element by clicking on an edge node it activates, but thats of no use.

If I open a new project in 16, the magnet is a functioning button as it should be.

I have tried "new and reset" as well as the procedure to clear stored preferences but to no avail.

Any further advice would be appreciate, else importing from 15 is going to be a frustrating experience.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Kirby et al, Try adding the AC16 Library to the 15 project. Let me know if this does the trick.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nicolas,

I applied the Archicad 16 Library and went through the consolidation of libraries. I also made sure that the default AC16 Profiles etc are loaded in the work environment.

No change to the button status.

Regards

Kirby
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
I received an email from ArchiCAD user Aya Mahmoud Almaddah mentioning that he (?) was experiencing the same problem, and wanted me to check out this discussion.

I opened up an ArchiCAD 15 file in ArchiCAD 16 and the selection arrow is working normally - I can press down the space bar to change the QuickSelect magnet status. So there does NOT appear to be a general issue affecting all files opened from ArchiCAD 15 in version 16, although it seems like Kirby and Aya are both experiencing similar issues.

My only suggestion for troubleshooting at this point is to try opening up other files from ArchiCAD 15 to see if there is something special in the project file that is causing it. It could be useful to create a simple file in AC15 based on the standard Graphisoft template and save it, then open this simple AC15 file in AC16 to see if the problem occurs in that file.

Eric
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Eric

As suggested I have tried opening several of our office projects (V15) files in AC16, all result in a greyed out selection magnet.

To verify where the problem lies I have as suggested created a simple V15 file, with the standard AC15 Profiles and settings and then opened this file in AC16. This fixes the problem.

Therefore something in our "custom" office settings is causing the problem, I'm not sure what though. My next step will be to apply the Default AC15 settings to a problem project, save and close, then open it in AC16. If this addresses the problem, I will manually modify the AC16 profile to match our custom settings and then apply this to future imported projects.

Strange that this sort of issue never manifested itself with all the previous migrations we have done between successive AC versions from 6 to 15!

I will report back shortly.

Kind regards

Kirby
Learn and get certified!