BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 17, Moving in 3D, Auto level assignement

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
AC17 is great really, But it's really annoying, In 3D view when I move object (form, wall, slab...) in heigt AC auto change the level assignment. And it is not a good thing !!!

Is there a way to disable this auto-function?
77 REPLIES 77
Anonymous
Not applicable
No one ? You don't have yet encounter this stupid auto assignment ?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid this is how it works now.
In such a case you will want to use the Settings Dialog or the Info Box to change the offset values to the desired values.

Or, do this, which may be easier: after elevating the element, keep it selected and use the Relink Home Story command from the context menu or the Edit\Element Settings\Relink Home Story menu command and set the desired Story. It will be relinked to the specified Story without a change in its vertical position.

I would argue with the statement that it is not a good thing.
I think in most cases when someone elevates an element, he wants it to be assigned to the Story it actually falls into vertically.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
OMG, it is so stupid... why !!!! I ll will loose so many hours a day reassigning slab, morph and other elements to their own story.

Juste try it, It is not permanent... why ???
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is even worst than I think : if choose only a few level to show in 3D (ex. Level 0 to 2) , And I duplicate an element vertically (duplicate option, increment), ANY element above Level 2 disappeared. Because It is auto assign to level 3 or 4 or whatever AC17 choose.

As I work With a Level -4 that is a Level only made for 3D model of environment, every little thing I move vertically disappear as it is auto reassigned to level 0.

Please Tell my graphisoft Is going to update to 17.1 tomorrow.
Eduardo Rolon
robert wrote:
No one ? You don't have yet encounter this stupid auto assignment ?
Did and argued against too.

Lazlo my main problem is not the auto-assign feature it is that you are not able to unlink some items from story levels or lock them in space. Previously in AC if you placed an item in 3D it would stay there no matter what you did to your story levels. This had the flexibility of working on the 3D and as your design developed you could adjust your final levels as necessary.

Now you need to define your final levels before the final design is completed or you will have to revise and adjust your objects every time it changes. This is the same problem that happened when walls started to move from home stories automatically in AC10-11? which was rolled back. For me the 3D position is senior to 2D, if I decide were I want something the program should not move it by itself.

On 2 projects this created extra work because they are renovations (started in 16) which meant that I have had to create multiple levels to handle the existing elevations and the new ones (which I didn't need to do before 17) and having to keep checking the model against the As-Built to see that nothing moved since I cannot trust that the exiting objects match reality. For example the existing roof of the project will NEVER move regardless of how I assign story levels and now if I am not careful it does.

In the end this means a change in procedure and clicking a lot on the "Reasign Level" icon and or shortcut and as happened before I hope the solution evolves in the next release as happened with the walls.

----
Sorry for the rant
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, now I think we have two spearate issues here:

1. The fact that elevation of an element will cause automatic reassignment of the Home Story of the element based on its new vertical height.

2. The fact that elements are linked to their Home Story, so if Story Heights change, their absolute vertical position change, which is certain cases is not desirable.

In both cases what I see it that you have situations where the way the program works does not fit your purpose, causing extra work.
I don't think we will be able to decide in each case which method is more useful for more users, it would take a pretty long time to figure out.

So I am seeing here two possible wishes in the form of toggles or checkboxes in the interface which would let one decide how the program should act.

1. A Keep Home Story option. This could be a checkbox to check or a key to press while elevating elements. It would cause the element to keep its Home Story assignment even if it should be assigned to another story based on default program behavior.

2. A lock vertical position toggle. This could be activated in the Settings Dialog of any element. Its effect would be that the program would remember its exact vertical position relative to the Project Origin and it would keep it even if Story Levels are changed. Home Story offset would be recalculated in such a case to keep its vertical height above Project Origin the same.

What do you guys think?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
You have it. The issues are linked but I would phrase them as.

1. As it was in AC16 and before with the option to set to automatic.

2. As it was in AC16 and before, with an option to work like walls.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
As ejrolon said, you have it .

1- For every element (wall, slab, beam, morp, object...) reassign to story -> Manual or Automatic Button, check box. And an option check box in their own properties Assign to level -> Freeze level (or whatever)

2- Same as Ejrolon said.
Karl Ottenstein
+1
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!