BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 17 windows problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI all ....
I have problem with putting windows in AC 17 ...
If i have 3 room with one exterior wall... and I want to put window in the middle of each one oh them ...I choose half snap with <between Intersection points > like red point in attachment
that was easy in AC 15
but in AC 17 it forced me to pick exterior side of the wall < sun cursor> and it will pick one point ,that is middle of whole wall. blue one
in AC 15 can use mirror in AC 17 if I use mirror or flip it changes the side of opening window or door and dose not change the position of reveal ...
anyway to move snap from inside wall to outside ..or flip window completely .
thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Yes I like the old method as well.
What you have to do now is to place a guide line first.
It can be done while placing the window if you have the auto guide lines turned on.
Select the window tool, touch the inside wall to get the midpoint marker then use the 'guide segment' tool button or SHIFT+` keyboard shortcut to place a guide segment at that mid-point, now place your window.

That is a little easier I think than placing the window incorrectly on the inside of your wall, then rotating it about the centre, mirroring it about the centre and possibly having to 'Flip" it as well depending what side of the wall your last click was.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Agree that the old method was better. Another option after finding the mid-point on the inside face of the wall is to hit option/alt "x" or option/alt "y" to constrain the cursor location, then moving to the exterior face of the wall to place the window.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
nourqueen85 wrote:
If i have 3 room with one exterior wall... and I want to put window in the middle of each one oh them ...I choose half snap with <between Intersection points > like red point in attachment
that was easy in AC 15
but in AC 17 it forced me to pick exterior side of the wall < sun cursor> and it will pick one point ,that is middle of whole wall. blue one
It still works for me.
The trick is to first hover over the inside face of the wall until the center "tick" mark appears,
then quickly move the cursor to the wall's reference line and the tick will appear again (@ cent. of room, not entire wall).
As long as the wall's ref. line is located within the exterior half of the wall, you should be able to ge the "sun" symbol on the exterior side of the wall.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank all ..
after trying ..I find the best way It to change reference line to exterior side ..before or after drawing the walls ..IT will force interior walls to reach the exterior side ..and snap will work ..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
'guide segment' tool button or SHIFT+` keyboard shortcut

Barry.
In my archicad it is ALT+L and it dose not work ever.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
I am not associated with SimpleAddons, however they have nice tools which I regularly use. One which applies here is their Move Window (including placing windows and doors), found at http://www.simpleaddon.com/

It really simplifies window and door placement and achieves exactly what you are discussing much more quickly.
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank Scott Bulmer.. its great tool
Learn and get certified!