Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 24 (3008 full fra), possible bug with the mesh tool

Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
In AC 24 it is now impossible to show a solid mesh with no (0) thickness in the 3D window.
It does work with top side only and top side + lateral sides.
And it does also work in AC23.
Am I missing something, or is it a known bug?

Cheers
François
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
I can confirm that a zero thickness mesh with a solid body doesn't not show in 3D in version 24.
It is still there and you can select it, you just can't see it.

Whether it is considered a bug or not I couldn't say.
Logically it has no thickness so therefore there is nothing there to see.
But why this has changed from earlier version I don't know.

If you model a zero thickness wall or slab, you can still see them, so why not the mesh as well.

You would have to report this to you local support people and see what they say as to whether it is a bug or not.

The obvious solution it to change it to mesh with skirt or top surface only.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Barry wrote:
I can confirm that a zero thickness mesh with a solid body doesn't not show in 3D in version 24.
Barry.
Hi Barry,
thank you for confirming this behaviour.

From my point of vue, it's more an observation I made while working, rather than a full bug report.
Being aware of the problem makes it easy to work around it, but it still got me "annoyed" for a couple of minutes in the first place

Cheers
François
François Chatelain
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
François and Barry:

I am not seeing this problem, the Top Surface Mesh displays in 3D in both vectorial Engine and OpenGL modes (also the Section view). I wonder if it is a Windows issue.

François: You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
David wrote:
François and Barry:

I am not seeing this problem, the Top Surface Mesh displays in 3D in both vectorial Engine and OpenGL modes (also the Section view). I wonder if it is a Windows issue.

François: You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
Hi David,
I'm on Win10 indeed, but we're talking about the full solid mesh (top, sides and bottom surfaces) with zero thickness if you'd like to test on Mac.

Cheers
François
François Chatelain
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
François:

This is what I see, are your settings the same?

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David,
You do have a zero hight mesh, but you also have 'z' values for your mesh points.
If you have a perfectly flat mesh with no 'z' values and a zero height, it will disappear in 3D.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry:

OK, I see it now. The surface does show if the Structure is changed to Top Surface only or with Skirt.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all.

Thank you for reporting this issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

This is a known issue in our defect database. The issue happened when the generator function for mesh creates degenerated but solid 3D model for flat-top zero-height meshes. It should rather be surface model.

Unfortunately, since this issue can be avoided easily using "Top Surface only" or "with Skirt", it did not receive a high priority to fix.

Thank you very much for your understanding! Let me know if you have any further question!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
mnguyen wrote:
Hi all.

Thank you for reporting this issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

This is a known issue in our defect database. The issue happened when the generator function for mesh creates degenerated but solid 3D model for flat-top zero-height meshes. It should rather be surface model.

Unfortunately, since this issue can be avoided easily using "Top Surface only" or "with Skirt", it did not receive a high priority to fix.

Thank you very much for your understanding! Let me know if you have any further question!

Best regards,
Minh
Hi Minh,

thank you for chiming in.

As you say, it's not really a problem once you know it exists

Cheers
François
François Chatelain