BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC20 - Align top of steel to a level

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to quickly select all steel beams on a level and quickly align the top of them to a floor level/specific offset from a floor level.

When I've used the align tool for the top of steel, the top of steel varies depending upon the different steel depths. Is it set out from the centre of the steel?
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
That is possible, check the complex profiles, by default if you import steel profiles, they will be set up with origin in the center. This works well for collumns, not so well for beams.

For this reason I generally use two profiles (collumn/beam), or as I mentioned in other topic the objects. You can't use adjust and such on objects though.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Do you use the beam tool, or the steal beam objects?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Another thing you can do, is link the beams to a story with an offset, that way if your story settings change, the beams will just move along.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Another thing you can do, is link the beams to a story with an offset, that way if your story settings change, the beams will just move along.
Thanks, that was my intention. From your other reply, I think it's a case of changing the settings for the standard steel complex profile I loaded in for use with the beam tool.

From what you've said, I'm I understanding correctly that I'd need two profiles for each steel profile if I'd like the top to align for beams and centreline to align for columns?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
That is what I do, import the profile, rename it for beam, move the fill down so the origin is at top middle. Import profile again, rename it for collumn.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!